From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:33:15 -0400, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)no.com> wrote:

> What does anyone here think re virtualizing via open source
> VirtualBox?

Keep in mind, that there are two different versions of VirtualBox.
There is the open source edition, that is provided by many
distributions, using a package manager, and there is a proprietary
version, which you have to download from
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

As far as I know, the only difference is related to usb support,
which is much better in the proprietary version.

This is one of the few packages where I recommend using the third
party version, rather then the version provided by the distribution
you choose to use.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: J.O. Aho on
RodMcKay wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:23:44 +0100, Aragorn
> <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 03 January 2010 19:17 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
>> RodMcKay wrote...
>>

> [snip]
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "a hierarchical text editor", but just
>> about every GNU/Linux distribution comes loaded with editors of all
>> kinds, both for character mode and GUI mode. Kate/Kwrite (part of KDE)
>> is very good, but if you want al the bells and whistles then you could
>> try Xemacs.
>
> Yup but they're regular text editors, not hierarchical. Xemacs may be
> tabbed, but it's not hierarchical from the looks of it where tabs
> exist within an _individual_ file and various sub-categories can be
> included in that one file.

FreeMind, maepad, rwdhypernote, HIDAM.

--

//Aho