From: Herbert Viola on

Ever since I installed the 10.5.6 update on my alu iMac it frequently
fails to wake from sleep and has to be hard rebooted. I googled and it
seems no one else has this problem. Am I really the only one?
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <wgates-E5AF27.23044316122008(a)news.verizon.net>,
Herbert Viola <wgates(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ever since I installed the 10.5.6 update on my alu iMac it frequently
> fails to wake from sleep and has to be hard rebooted. I googled and it
> seems no one else has this problem. Am I really the only one?

Have you looked at the system and console logs to see what errors are
logged there?

..
..
..

Viewing Crash, Console, and System Logs

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.

2. From the Console menu bar, select File > View System Log. Typically,
you must be logged into an administrator account to view the system log.

Note: To view the system log from a normal non-admin account, you can
open a terminal window, enter the command 'su admin' (where admin is the
short name of an administrator account), then enter the command 'cat
/var/log/system.log'.

3. From the Console menu bar, select File > View Console Log.

The system log will usually give you an indication as to what is causing
startup issues. The console log can show issues you experience after you
are logged into your user account.

If a particular application is crashing, you may find a crash log in
/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ or /Users/you/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/.

(Feel free to post the logs here if you need help understanding them.
We'll be glad to take a look and tell you what we see.)

JR
From: Michael L Kankiewicz on

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/mac_os_10_5_6_problems/

From: Herbert Viola on
In article <jollyroger-F86EB1.03153017122008(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <wgates-E5AF27.23044316122008(a)news.verizon.net>,
> Herbert Viola <wgates(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Ever since I installed the 10.5.6 update on my alu iMac it frequently
> > fails to wake from sleep and has to be hard rebooted. I googled and it
> > seems no one else has this problem. Am I really the only one?
>
> Have you looked at the system and console logs to see what errors are
> logged there?
>
> .
> .
> .
>
> Viewing Crash, Console, and System Logs
>
> 1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.
>
> 2. From the Console menu bar, select File > View System Log. Typically,
> you must be logged into an administrator account to view the system log.
>
> Note: To view the system log from a normal non-admin account, you can
> open a terminal window, enter the command 'su admin' (where admin is the
> short name of an administrator account), then enter the command 'cat
> /var/log/system.log'.
>
> 3. From the Console menu bar, select File > View Console Log.
>
> The system log will usually give you an indication as to what is causing
> startup issues. The console log can show issues you experience after you
> are logged into your user account.
>
> If a particular application is crashing, you may find a crash log in
> /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ or /Users/you/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/.
>
> (Feel free to post the logs here if you need help understanding them.
> We'll be glad to take a look and tell you what we see.)

Around the time I believe I put my iMac to sleep last night I found a
countless(hundreds?) of entries such as this:

Dec 17 03:14:36 macintosh-2 kernel[0]:
AppleFWOHCI_AsyncReceive::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <wgates-2BE831.17435617122008(a)news.verizon.net>,
Herbert Viola <wgates(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-F86EB1.03153017122008(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <wgates-E5AF27.23044316122008(a)news.verizon.net>,
> > Herbert Viola <wgates(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ever since I installed the 10.5.6 update on my alu iMac it frequently
> > > fails to wake from sleep and has to be hard rebooted. I googled and it
> > > seems no one else has this problem. Am I really the only one?
> >
> > Have you looked at the system and console logs to see what errors are
> > logged there?
> >
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >
> > Viewing Crash, Console, and System Logs
> >
> > 1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.
> >
> > 2. From the Console menu bar, select File > View System Log. Typically,
> > you must be logged into an administrator account to view the system log.
> >
> > Note: To view the system log from a normal non-admin account, you can
> > open a terminal window, enter the command 'su admin' (where admin is the
> > short name of an administrator account), then enter the command 'cat
> > /var/log/system.log'.
> >
> > 3. From the Console menu bar, select File > View Console Log.
> >
> > The system log will usually give you an indication as to what is causing
> > startup issues. The console log can show issues you experience after you
> > are logged into your user account.
> >
> > If a particular application is crashing, you may find a crash log in
> > /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ or /Users/you/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/.
> >
> > (Feel free to post the logs here if you need help understanding them.
> > We'll be glad to take a look and tell you what we see.)
>
> Around the time I believe I put my iMac to sleep last night I found a
> countless(hundreds?) of entries such as this:
>
> Dec 17 03:14:36 macintosh-2 kernel[0]:
> AppleFWOHCI_AsyncReceive::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.

It looks like you're having problems with a Firewire device. MacOS X
generally crashes when non-USB devices go offline.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.