From: Konstantinos Agouros on
Hi,

I have to use the Cisco Client (I mean the one from Cisco not the built
in one). The VPNClient.app won't start after the upgrade. Anybody else
has similar problems?

Regards,

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood(a)agouros.de
Altersheimerstr. 1, 81545 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <1277032734.243711(a)rumba>,
Konstantinos Agouros <elwood(a)agouros.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to use the Cisco Client (I mean the one from Cisco not the built
> in one). The VPNClient.app won't start after the upgrade. Anybody else
> has similar problems?
>
> Regards,
>
> Konstantin

I used to have to use Cisco VPN client too, but since upgrading to Mac
OS X 10.6, I can use the built-in Apple VPN facility, which is not only
easier to use, but also is much more stable!

The only catch was I had to obtain the shared secret and group name. I
managed to get the group name and encrypted shared key out of the
profile files installed by Cisco VPN Client, and ran the encrypted
shared key through the nifty utility here to get the plain text shared
key:

<http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode?enc=024872>

Or you could just ask your IT department for them.

Give it a shot!

JR
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <1277032734.243711(a)rumba>,
Konstantinos Agouros <elwood(a)agouros.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to use the Cisco Client (I mean the one from Cisco not the built
> in one). The VPNClient.app won't start after the upgrade. Anybody else
> has similar problems?
>
> Regards,
>
> Konstantin

VPNClient.app has never been stable. Whether it worked, crashed, or
caused constant kernel panics was always a matter of luck.

You can try Apple's built-in implementation of Cisco VPN. It has DNS
bugs that make it generally useless for corporate VPN connections.

Cisco also has a newer "AnyConnect" client that might work. I have it
working on two Macs without issues but I won't declare it robust yet.
It appears to edit and revert Unix config files to workaround DNS
problems that keep Apple's VPN from working.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <4c1e50c5$0$22146$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:

> In article <1277032734.243711(a)rumba>,
> Konstantinos Agouros <elwood(a)agouros.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to use the Cisco Client (I mean the one from Cisco not the built
> > in one). The VPNClient.app won't start after the upgrade. Anybody else
> > has similar problems?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Konstantin
>
> VPNClient.app has never been stable. Whether it worked, crashed, or
> caused constant kernel panics was always a matter of luck.
>
> You can try Apple's built-in implementation of Cisco VPN. It has DNS
> bugs that make it generally useless for corporate VPN connections.

I haven't had that experience at all. DNS works as expected for me with
Apple's built-in VPN connectivity. In fact I have less trouble with DNS
than I did with Cisco VPN Client.

JR
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <jollyroger-5F327B.12461820062010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <4c1e50c5$0$22146$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:
>
> > In article <1277032734.243711(a)rumba>,
> > Konstantinos Agouros <elwood(a)agouros.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have to use the Cisco Client (I mean the one from Cisco not the built
> > > in one). The VPNClient.app won't start after the upgrade. Anybody else
> > > has similar problems?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Konstantin
> >
> > VPNClient.app has never been stable. Whether it worked, crashed, or
> > caused constant kernel panics was always a matter of luck.
> >
> > You can try Apple's built-in implementation of Cisco VPN. It has DNS
> > bugs that make it generally useless for corporate VPN connections.
>
> I haven't had that experience at all. DNS works as expected for me with
> Apple's built-in VPN connectivity. In fact I have less trouble with DNS
> than I did with Cisco VPN Client.

I double-checked the VPN config and ran packet sniffing to see if it was
fixed in 10.6.4. Nope. Some queries hit the VPN DNS and they resolve.
Some queries only hit the local DNS list and they will not resolve.

It's a common topic on Apple's discussion boards and there is no
solution.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Recommend OCR programs?