From: Archon on
On 8/1/2010 3:57 PM, a453 wrote:
> a453 wrote:
>

> Hi thanks to you all for the replies.
>
> I opened the motor.... there is a very rusty capacitor inside it.... the
> markings are unreadable.
>
> I disconnected the capacitor and tried to test if the capacitor still
> works by using a tester with different ohm settings... I always got no
> readings.... I guest that means that the capacitor is broken?
>
> If so, now the problem i getting a new capacitor with the right size...
>
> The motor data is:
>
> dual voltage 125/250 V
>
> Amps 21.0/10.5
>
> 2.0 HP (SF 1.10 SF)
>
> This is a single phase Magnetek Centurion SE motor powered at normal 125
> Volt housedold power.
>
> My understandi is that i should look for an unpolarized motor star
> capacitor rated at 270-324 microFarad at 250 Volt
>
> Is this correct? Thanks so much for your help!!
Hi, I guess this a pool/spa pump? Magnatek centurion is probably an A.O.
Smith motor.

Are there any other identifiers on the motor plate that are readable? If
so go to the AO Smith website

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/default.aspx

Literature library

Manuals

Replacement Parts

Download the parts catalog PDF, it gives all the cap values for motors
but you need some identifier to select the correct part. If you have
the SPA/Pump filter manufacturer it easier to find a good pool supplies
shop and ask, my local pool outfit is pretty good.
JC

From: Archon on
On 8/1/2010 4:40 PM, Archon wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 3:57 PM, a453 wrote:
>> a453 wrote:
>>

>> Hi thanks to you all for the replies.
>>
>> I opened the motor.... there is a very rusty capacitor inside it.... the
>> markings are unreadable.
>>
>> I disconnected the capacitor and tried to test if the capacitor still
>> works by using a tester with different ohm settings... I always got no
>> readings.... I guest that means that the capacitor is broken?
>>
>> If so, now the problem i getting a new capacitor with the right size...
>>
>> The motor data is:
>>
>> dual voltage 125/250 V
>>
>> Amps 21.0/10.5
>>
>> 2.0 HP (SF 1.10 SF)
>>
>> This is a single phase Magnetek Centurion SE motor powered at normal 125
>> Volt housedold power.
>>
>> My understandi is that i should look for an unpolarized motor star
>> capacitor rated at 270-324 microFarad at 250 Volt
>>
>> Is this correct? Thanks so much for your help!!
> Hi, I guess this a pool/spa pump? Magnatek centurion is probably an A.O.
> Smith motor.
>
> Are there any other identifiers on the motor plate that are readable? If
> so go to the AO Smith website
>
> http://www.aosmithmotors.com/default.aspx
>
> Literature library
>
> Manuals
>
> Replacement Parts
>
> Download the parts catalog PDF, it gives all the cap values for motors
> but you need some identifier to select the correct part. If you have the
> SPA/Pump filter manufacturer it easier to find a good pool supplies shop
> and ask, my local pool outfit is pretty good.
> JC

This may help

http://www.pool1.com/motor.asp

JC
From: a453 on

I searched but found no reference to my motor.. it's a bit old.... the
old capacitor is all rusty and unreadable so with some approximation on
"similar " motors I trend to install a new 220v 108-130 MFD
capacitor.... the motor ran fine for a bit and then the capacitor
"popped"... I guess I burned it....

SHould I try use a capacitor with a higher or lower MFD number (the
motor runs on ordinary houseol 115-120volt power) thanks
From: hr(bob) hofmann on
On Aug 3, 6:30 pm, a453 <a...(a)a453.nospam.nospam.com> wrote:
> I searched but found no reference to my motor..  it's a bit old.... the
> old capacitor is all rusty and unreadable so with some approximation on
> "similar " motors I trend to install a new 220v 108-130 MFD
> capacitor.... the motor ran fine for a bit and then the capacitor
> "popped"... I guess I burned it....
>
> SHould I try use a capacitor with a higher or lower MFD number  (the
> motor runs on ordinary houseol 115-120volt power) thanks

TRy a higher voltage capacitor.
From: Jack Myers on
a453 <a453(a)a453.nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

> I searched but found no reference to my motor.. it's a bit old.... the
> old capacitor is all rusty and unreadable so with some approximation on
> "similar " motors I trend to install a new 220v 108-130 MFD
> capacitor.... the motor ran fine for a bit and then the capacitor
> "popped"... I guess I burned it....

> SHould I try use a capacitor with a higher or lower MFD number (the
> motor runs on ordinary houseol 115-120volt power) thanks

A motor starting capacitor is designed to carry AC (alternating current)
when an alternating voltage is applied. Did you perchance substitute a
capacitor rated for 220v DC? That would almost certainly pop.

--
Jack Myers / Westminster, California, USA

Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing.
-- Roy L. Ash, ex-president, Litton Industries