From: Américo Wang on
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:07:29PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

>Americo,
>
>I still do not know why the function graph tracer is making your system
>unusable. I'll look more into that when I get a chance. So far, I have
>not had any issues on any of my boxes.

Oh, in fact, I just tried 2 x86_64 machines, both of them have this
problem.

Sorry that I don't have much time to do bisect, the last kernel that
I tried is 2.6.32-rc6, it is bad too. I will try some older kernels
if I have time.

Thank you.

From: Steven Rostedt on
On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 13:37 +0800, Américo Wang wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:07:29PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >
> >Americo,
> >
> >I still do not know why the function graph tracer is making your system
> >unusable. I'll look more into that when I get a chance. So far, I have
> >not had any issues on any of my boxes.
> >

> Oh, in fact, I just tried 2 x86_64 machines, both of them have this
> problem.
>
> Sorry that I don't have much time to do bisect, the last kernel that
> I tried is 2.6.32-rc6, it is bad too. I will try some older kernels
> if I have time.

It may be a config problem. I'll analyze your config again and see if I
can find something with it. But this will need to wait till next week.

Thanks,

-- Steve

From: Steven Rostedt on
On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 21:07 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 11:38 +0800, Li Zefan wrote:
>
> > The segfault is from userspace. This is a segfault I just got:
> >
> > ftrace_stack_ma[14989]: segfault at fe2e ip 00000000004474c0 sp 00007fffb97e38c0 error 4 in bash[400000+d1000]
>
> Li and Lai,
>
> Thanks a lot for reporting all this, and writing the ftrace_stress_test.
> I've fixed all the bugs that it has reported (to my knowledge) and after
> a little more testing I will soon be sending a patch series out.

Li,

I ran your test for 13 hours on three different machines. I did not hit
any more errors. Although I see a lockdep warning (not a locking problem
but the WARN_ON in fork.c is triggering). I'll look into that on Monday.

Please take the new patches that Ingo just pushed to Linus, if you find
any more bugs, please let me know right away.

Thanks!

-- Steve

From: Steven Rostedt on

From: Li Zefan on
Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 21:07 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 11:38 +0800, Li Zefan wrote:
>>
>>> The segfault is from userspace. This is a segfault I just got:
>>>
>>> ftrace_stack_ma[14989]: segfault at fe2e ip 00000000004474c0 sp 00007fffb97e38c0 error 4 in bash[400000+d1000]
>> Li and Lai,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for reporting all this, and writing the ftrace_stress_test.
>> I've fixed all the bugs that it has reported (to my knowledge) and after
>> a little more testing I will soon be sending a patch series out.
>
> Li,
>
> I ran your test for 13 hours on three different machines. I did not hit
> any more errors. Although I see a lockdep warning (not a locking problem
> but the WARN_ON in fork.c is triggering). I'll look into that on Monday.

As I said in the offline mail, this warning is caused by global trace_clock,
and I sent a fix sometime ago:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/21/4

> Please take the new patches that Ingo just pushed to Linus, if you find
> any more bugs, please let me know right away.

Thanks for the fixes!