From: Alan T on
I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008.
Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit?

From: John Bell on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:15:59 +1000, "Alan T"
<alan_NO_SPAM_pltse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008.
>Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit?

It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then
you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The
32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better
memory management of the 64bit version and you may have to revert to
32 bit drivers when interfacing to 32bit applications.

John
From: Alan T on
> It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then
> you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The
> 32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better
> memory management of the 64bit version and you may have to revert to
> 32 bit drivers when interfacing to 32bit applications.

If I install the SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008(64-bit), it will
choose the 64-bit one to install automatically?

From: John Bell on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:35:58 +1000, "Alan T"
<alan_NO_SPAM_pltse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then
>> you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The
>> 32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better
>> memory management of the 64bit version and you may have to revert to
>> 32 bit drivers when interfacing to 32bit applications.
>
>If I install the SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008(64-bit), it will
>choose the 64-bit one to install automatically?

Hi

If you have a disk with dual media I think it will choose the most
appropriate for the OS, but I assume (as I have never tried it!!) you
can run setup from the specific directory to get a particular version.

John