From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Scottieb wrote:

>>>I would like to use a DSP to implement a bank of filters for a real
>
> time
>
>>>audio analyzer. The filters are 1/3rd octave spanning from 25Hz to
>
> 31K5Hz
>
>>>(32 filters). I was looking at using a C5505 to do the job, Can anyone
>>>point me in the right direction to get started on implementing biquad
>>>filter on this device?
>>
>>Start with prototyping the algorithm on PC.
>

> Using Matlab or something similar?

God forbid. Evaluate C or C++ code that you will later use on your
target device.

>>The job can be done by 8-bit micricontroller. C55xx and FPGA is
>>incredible overkill; you can use *any* algorithm you like, possibly in
>>the floating point.

> I know you could do a low quality analyzer with an 8 bit MCU, but I would
> like at least a 50Hz refresh rate on the display, so the filters need to be
> giving me 1600 results ever second, not sure what that equates to in
> instruction count yet, do you still think C55xx will be an overkill?

For the sample rate of 96K, this could take ~tens of MIPS depending on
the algorithm and the instruction set. I'd split the bands and decimate,
then use Goertzel or Sin/Cos accumulation whatever is better for
particular band. Anyway the load looks like too much for one 8-bitter,
however it could be paralleled to more then one. Otherwise a low end DSP
or bigger MCU would be adequate.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Gerold Schrutz on

"Scottieb" <scottwburr(a)gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello All
>
> I would like to use a DSP to implement a bank of filters for a real time
> audio analyzer. The filters are 1/3rd octave spanning from 25Hz to 31K5Hz
> (32 filters). I was looking at using a C5505 to do the job, Can anyone
> point me in the right direction to get started on implementing biquad
> filter on this device?
>
> Or would I be better off using an FFT to do the job instead of biquads?
>
> Just a bit of background, the information with be displayed on an LED bar
> graph display with 25 leds per bar for each 1/3rd octave. each led will
> indicate 1 or 2dB (selectable) the display logic will be handled by an
> FPGA.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Hello Scott,

A long time ago, I did such an analyser on the 56k from Freescale. It had
two channels, a sample rate of 96k and update rate of 100Hz. I used a
cascade structure (3x IIR's, SRC, 3x IIR's, SRC, ...) and it works quite
well.

So implementing a single channel analyzer on a (todays) C55xx shouldn't be a
problem, but nevertheless it's not a trivial task!

BR,

Gerold