From: krw on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:38:24 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>On Jun 24, 12:30�pm, panfilero <panfil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make a simple 4mA current
>> regulator... I started looking at LM317 voltage regulators, but found
>> that they're gonna output a minimum of 10mA... I'm now looking at
>> JFETs with a resistor between the source and gate... most the JFETs
>> I'm finding can only provide currents less than 3mA...
>>
>> thanks
>
>You didn't give any specs.
>
>Here's a quickie, for lax needs:
>
>(view in Courier font)
>
> Vcc
> -+-
> |
> .-.
> | | R1 V
> '-' | V
> | |
> | |/
> +-----| Q1
> --- |
> \ /~~> |
> --- .-.
>LED | | | R2
> | | |
> | '-'
> | |
> === ===

Same idea but (a lot) better accuracy...

VCC | |
| | | I(sink)
.-. | V
| | |
| | |
'-' |/
+-----+---------|

| |/ |
+---| |
|> |
| .-.
| | |
LM385 z | |
-or- A '-'
REF1112 | |
| |
=== ===
GND GND

(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)
From: David Eather on
On 25/06/2010 2:30 AM, panfilero wrote:
> can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make a simple 4mA current
> regulator... I started looking at LM317 voltage regulators, but found
> that they're gonna output a minimum of 10mA... I'm now looking at
> JFETs with a resistor between the source and gate... most the JFETs
> I'm finding can only provide currents less than 3mA...
>
> thanks

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM334.html

Simple, cheap, source or sink, very nice.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:45:40 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>On 25/06/2010 2:30 AM, panfilero wrote:
>> can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make a simple 4mA current
>> regulator... I started looking at LM317 voltage regulators, but found
>> that they're gonna output a minimum of 10mA... I'm now looking at
>> JFETs with a resistor between the source and gate... most the JFETs
>> I'm finding can only provide currents less than 3mA...
>>
>> thanks
>

>http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM334.html
>
>Simple, cheap, source or sink, very nice.

Except with a TC... proportional to absolute �K... still usable in a
lot of non-critical applications.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.
From: Winfield Hill on
panfilero wrote...

>> can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make a simple 4mA
>> current regulator... I started looking at LM317 voltage regulators,
>> but found that they're gonna output a minimum of 10mA... I'm now
>> looking at JFETs with a resistor between the source and gate...
>> most the JFETs I'm finding can only provide currents less than 3mA...

and this,
> Thanks for the responses... what I'm trying to do is power an
> accelerometer.... I'm trying to re-create the "Constant Current
> Signal Conditioner" side of the circuit shown in Fig. 7 of this link
> http://www.pcb.com/techsupport/tech_signal.php but in that circuit
> they use a "Current Regulating Diode". I don't have one of these,
> but I do have an electronics store down the street, so basically
> that's what I'm trying to re-create, and for the accelerometer I
> have, the current would have to be regulated to 4mA...

Yep, in the old days we relied on a LM317 for this task, even tho
NSC's spec said the "minimum load current" was 5mA. Most parts
were lower, 3.5mA typ, but it was clearly "out of spec" for 4mA
uses such as yours.

These days, distributors would do well stock Linear Technology's
new LT3092 to serve the voracious current-source community. It
has a 0.5mA minimum-load-current spec, and it has an intrinsic
1% accuracy spec (not counting resistor accuracy).

For 0.5mA to 200mA current sources, this could be your baby.

But, oops! if high currents are your requirement, it doesn't
come in a TO-220 power case. For that, grab their LT3080ET,
it's ready for a heat-sink clip! But it's possible it may
need a parallel output capacitor to prevent RF oscillation.
It has the same 0.5mA minimum-load-current, and 1% accuracy.

dist: DigiKey

case: TO-220 SOT-223
LT3092EST -- $3.73
LT3080ET $4.38 $4.20

--
Thanks,
- Win
From: tm on

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:v1382618rb4qhf75pas3t870meblnr8aff(a)4ax.com...
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:45:40 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>On 25/06/2010 2:30 AM, panfilero wrote:
>>> can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make a simple 4mA current
>>> regulator... I started looking at LM317 voltage regulators, but found
>>> that they're gonna output a minimum of 10mA... I'm now looking at
>>> JFETs with a resistor between the source and gate... most the JFETs
>>> I'm finding can only provide currents less than 3mA...
>>>
>>> thanks
>>

>>http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM334.html
>>
>>Simple, cheap, source or sink, very nice.
>
> Except with a TC... proportional to absolute �K... still usable in a
> lot of non-critical applications.

That can be tuned out with an additional diode and resistor.