From: Michael on
Hi,

I'm trying to use a 555 timer to produce a PWM waveform however can't find
any reference as to how the value of the resistor* can be used to calcuate
the duty cycle. Is there a formula that says something like when you use
Xohms it gives 2X% duty cycle?

Cheers,

Michael

*http://www.scienceprog.com/control-motor-pwm-schematic/

From: Tom Biasi on

"Michael" <QmQiQcQhQaQeQlQhQiQmQsQ(a)QbQlQuQeQyQoQnQdQeQrQ.QcQoQ.QuQkQ> wrote
in message news:UY2Bh.331518$MO2.233503(a)fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a 555 timer to produce a PWM waveform however can't find
> any reference as to how the value of the resistor* can be used to calcuate
> the duty cycle. Is there a formula that says something like when you use
> Xohms it gives 2X% duty cycle?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael
>
> *http://www.scienceprog.com/control-motor-pwm-schematic/

Bill has a calculator.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/555.htm

From: Michael on

"Tom Biasi" <tombiasi@********optonline.net> wrote in message

> "Michael" <QmQiQcQhQaQeQlQhQiQmQsQ(a)QbQlQuQeQyQoQnQdQeQrQ.QcQoQ.QuQkQ>
> wrote in message news:UY2Bh.331518$MO2.233503(a)fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use a 555 timer to produce a PWM waveform however can't
>> find any reference as to how the value of the resistor* can be used to
>> calcuate the duty cycle. Is there a formula that says something like when
>> you use Xohms it gives 2X% duty cycle?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> *http://www.scienceprog.com/control-motor-pwm-schematic/
>>

> Bill has a calculator.
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/555.htm

Hi,

Thanks, I've put the formula into Excel and everytime I change of the values
(R1,R2,C1) it changes both the frequency and duty cycle. Is there a way to
change only the duty cycle once you have the frequency you want?

Cheers,

Michael

From: Lord Garth on

"Michael" <QmQiQcQhQaQeQlQhQiQmQsQ(a)QbQlQuQeQyQoQnQdQeQrQ.QcQoQ.QuQkQ> wrote
in message news:H15Bh.332045$MO2.127057(a)fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Tom Biasi" <tombiasi@********optonline.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael" <QmQiQcQhQaQeQlQhQiQmQsQ(a)QbQlQuQeQyQoQnQdQeQrQ.QcQoQ.QuQkQ>
> > wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to use a 555 timer to produce a PWM waveform however can't
> >> find any reference as to how the value of the resistor* can be used to
> >> calcuate the duty cycle. Is there a formula that says something like
when
> >> you use Xohms it gives 2X% duty cycle?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> *http://www.scienceprog.com/control-motor-pwm-schematic/
> >>

> > Bill has a calculator.
> >
> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/555.htm

Look to alt.binaries,schematics.electronic for an attached file...

From: Phil Allison on

"Michael"

>>> I'm trying to use a 555 timer to produce a PWM waveform however can't
>>> find any reference as to how the value of the resistor* can be used to
>>> calcuate the duty cycle. Is there a formula that says something like
>>> when you use Xohms it gives 2X% duty cycle?
>>>

> Thanks, I've put the formula into Excel and everytime I change of the
> values (R1,R2,C1) it changes both the frequency and duty cycle. Is there a
> way to change only the duty cycle once you have the frequency you want?

** Not possible by varying only one resistor.

A pot will do it:

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/555pwm.html