From: Rinaldi J. Montessi on
Is there an acroread package available for 64 bit slack 13.0? Okular
and xpdf don't quite do it for me.

Thanks.
--
-Rinaldi-
"... And remember: if you don't like the news, go out and make some of
From: Eef Hartman on
Rinaldi J. Montessi <rinaldi(a)notaserver.com> wrote:
> Is there an acroread package available for 64 bit slack 13.0? Okular
> and xpdf don't quite do it for me.

No, and as long as Adobe doesn't create one, there won't be one.

Adobe Reader (acroread) and Adobe 9 (the creator of PDF files) cq
Adobe Creative Suite are all CLOSED source applications, they do
not come with source, so the only versions available are the ones
Adobe is offering ON their website (www.adobe.com) cq sell.

PS: the same goes for FlashPlayer, but luckily for that product
they ARE working on a 64-bit version (not available through the
website yet, though, you have to go to
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
to get the prelease of 10.1)
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: Rinaldi J. Montessi on
Eef Hartman wrote:
> Rinaldi J. Montessi <rinaldi(a)notaserver.com> wrote:
>> Is there an acroread package available for 64 bit slack 13.0? Okular
>> and xpdf don't quite do it for me.
>
> No, and as long as Adobe doesn't create one, there won't be one.
>
> Adobe Reader (acroread) and Adobe 9 (the creator of PDF files) cq
> Adobe Creative Suite are all CLOSED source applications, they do
> not come with source, so the only versions available are the ones
> Adobe is offering ON their website (www.adobe.com) cq sell.
>
> PS: the same goes for FlashPlayer, but luckily for that product
> they ARE working on a 64-bit version (not available through the
> website yet, though, you have to go to
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
> to get the prelease of 10.1)

Thanks for the info.

I note that 64 bit Solaris has acroread available, thus my question for
linux.

Re: Flash, yes I have Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45 running on 13.0/64.

--
-Rinaldi-
Xerox does it again and again and again and ...
From: Chick Tower on
On 2010-05-01, Rinaldi J. Montessi <rinaldi(a)notaserver.com> wrote:
> Is there an acroread package available for 64 bit slack 13.0? Okular
> and xpdf don't quite do it for me.

I don't know what your needs and preferences are, but perhaps using
multiple programs that do have 64-bit versions would work. I discovered
during this recently-past U.S. tax season that Okular would allow me to
fill out the fillable PDF forms and save them, but it wouldn't always be
able to read the files it had saved, and frequently didn't include the
changed information. I also couldn't print from it for some reason I
never discovered. I took the files to the library to print them, but
the Windows version of Acrobat Reader 9 wouldn't load most of the files,
saying they were corrupted. gv would load and display the information I
had added to the PDF files I had saved with Okular, and it would print
them, too, so that's what I used to print my tax returns.

Granted, that isn't an ideal solution, but it may help you get by. Have
you configured your Slackware 13.0 installation to allow you to use
32-bit software as well as 64-bit programs, so that you could use the
32-bit version of Acrobat Reader?
--
Chick Tower

For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
From: Rinaldi J. Montessi on
Chick Tower wrote:
> On 2010-05-01, Rinaldi J. Montessi <rinaldi(a)notaserver.com> wrote:
>> Is there an acroread package available for 64 bit slack 13.0? Okular
>> and xpdf don't quite do it for me.
>
> I don't know what your needs and preferences are, but perhaps using
> multiple programs that do have 64-bit versions would work. I discovered
> during this recently-past U.S. tax season that Okular would allow me to
> fill out the fillable PDF forms and save them, but it wouldn't always be
> able to read the files it had saved, and frequently didn't include the
> changed information. I also couldn't print from it for some reason I
> never discovered. I took the files to the library to print them, but
> the Windows version of Acrobat Reader 9 wouldn't load most of the files,
> saying they were corrupted. gv would load and display the information I
> had added to the PDF files I had saved with Okular, and it would print
> them, too, so that's what I used to print my tax returns.

Thank you for that info.

> Granted, that isn't an ideal solution, but it may help you get by. Have
> you configured your Slackware 13.0 installation to allow you to use
> 32-bit software as well as 64-bit programs, so that you could use the
> 32-bit version of Acrobat Reader?

Clue needed. I'm running an up to date slack13.0/64 installation. How
do I configure for including 32 bit applications?

--
-Rinaldi-
"I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent."