From: Paul on
James Kosin wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
>> crosspost]
>>
>> Tester wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
>>> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
>>> programs?
>>> Thank you

> Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

For comments on WinXP x64 operating system, read the
customer reviews here. By reading this, you may avoid
making a mistake. (This is separate from the initial
question.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16832116378

Later 64 bit OSes, may have better end user reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

If you look around, you may be able to find an "Upgrade Advisor", or
compatibility information, to help you in your decision.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

The "Upgrade Advisor" has these prerequisites.

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
* .NET Framework 2.0 or higher if running Windows XP

Paul