From: dabble53 on
On Oct 17, 11:33 am, gd <g...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> receiving error 646 when installing 8 updates per windows update.
> downloads okay but then comes back as 8 failed to install.
> please advise.

I had this problem on Windows 7 (clean install) for 11 MS Office 2007
related updates.
Apparently, in MS' infinite wisdom, these updates require that you
"accept" licensing agreements, but with
MS-Windows update, there's no way to accept the agreements, so the
updates fail.
Forget about the solutions that tell you to turn off your firewall -
that's just plain stupid. Only thing more stupid would
be if MS tied an Office update to the firewall (not that I would put
it past them)

Any way.....
Download the updates and save them to your local disk. You'll have to
click a few times, but going to MS' site
and searching for downloads by the KB##### identified by the failed
update, will get you to a page where by
drilling down a bit, you'll get to a "Download" button. (Of course,
you'll get warnings about needing to have IE-x
also, but you can actually get past that and just download and save
the .exe files that are the updates.)
After you have them downloaded, just execute them. You'll get a window
where you can accept the license
terms, after which the update should install successfully.
From: atocso on

Shenan Stanley;4655101 Wrote:
> Please specify your operating system, service pack level and describe
> in
> detail how you are trying to install updates...

Windows Vista: Home Premium SP2.
windows Update shows notification re new updates are available for
installation. Opened notification and it showed me 3 critical updates
and 2 optional updates. Selected to install 3 critical updates and
later showed error code 646. Tried to resolve error by following one of
the suggested solutions, which is to allow more disc space for the
installation. Went on to delete some programs through the control
panel's uninstall program method. Went on further to create more disc
space for the installation by deleting some folders with huge files on
it using the windows explorer. And finally went on to empty recycle bin
to make sure more disc space was created for installation. Went back to
install critical updates but this time chose only 2 of the 3 critical
updates available for installation. Error code 646 still persisted.

--
atocso
atocso's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160629.htm

http://forums.techarena.in