From: fender62 on

Kenny;3368687 Wrote:
> I'm using a Gigabyte GAK9-NSC-939 with an Athlon XP 3200 and 3 GB PC3200
>
> RAM.
> Added GeForce 6600 AGP graphics. Creative PCI soundcard and a Firewire
> card.
> Very happy with it and won't feel the need to upgrade for a while.
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill
> "fender62" fender62.590187e(a)pcbanter.net wrote in message
>
> im on a budget so im looking to buy a used 939 m/b there's a few
> about
> asus abit msi gigbyte etc what was considered the best of them when
> they
> were new, being as ill be buying one used what one would anyone
> recommend
> for a bit of game playing half life 2 etc.
>

> --
> fender62 -

sorry for the confusion, i have a 1gb 184 mem card 939 takes 184 chips
so ill use that i have an old geforce mx4000 agp thats a little slow so
ill get a used pci graphics card the best used one i can afford i have
two sata drives
bought a whild back ill use them, i dont have cpu yet but people are
selling there 939 m/b with the cpu on fleabay so ill do it that way, if
im buying a uesed m/b with a cpu what the best one for the 939 if i see
a used one.
at the mo im looking at a few used m/b - Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi/GigaByte
GA-K8N Ultra-9 /ENDING SOON
ASUS A8V Deluxe/Athlon 64 x2 core 4400+ on MSI 7185/AMD Athlon 64 3000+
& MSI K8N Neo2 what one is best ?

--
fender62
From: Paul on
fender62 wrote:
> Kenny;3368687 Wrote:
>> I'm using a Gigabyte GAK9-NSC-939 with an Athlon XP 3200 and 3 GB PC3200
>>
>> RAM.
>> Added GeForce 6600 AGP graphics. Creative PCI soundcard and a Firewire
>> card.
>> Very happy with it and won't feel the need to upgrade for a while.
>>
>> --
>> Kenny Cargill
>> "fender62" fender62.590187e(a)pcbanter.net wrote in message
>>
>> im on a budget so im looking to buy a used 939 m/b there's a few
>> about
>> asus abit msi gigbyte etc what was considered the best of them when
>> they
>> were new, being as ill be buying one used what one would anyone
>> recommend
>> for a bit of game playing half life 2 etc.
>>
>> --
>> fender62 -
>
> sorry for the confusion, i have a 1gb 184 mem card 939 takes 184 chips
> so ill use that i have an old geforce mx4000 agp thats a little slow so
> ill get a used pci graphics card the best used one i can afford i have
> two sata drives
> bought a whild back ill use them, i dont have cpu yet but people are
> selling there 939 m/b with the cpu on fleabay so ill do it that way, if
> im buying a uesed m/b with a cpu what the best one for the 939 if i see
> a used one.
> at the mo im looking at a few used m/b - Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi/GigaByte
> GA-K8N Ultra-9 /ENDING SOON
> ASUS A8V Deluxe/Athlon 64 x2 core 4400+ on MSI 7185/AMD Athlon 64 3000+
> & MSI K8N Neo2 what one is best ?

A minor issue with the Abit, would be that the company is out of business.
Sometimes it is hard to get info from their web site, like if you need
drivers or the downloadable PDF user manual.

The GA-K8N Ultra-9 has a PCI Express video card slot. There is no
fan on the chipset to wear out.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=1593

The A8V Deluxe has an AGP 8X video slot. At this point, I don't
see an AGP slot as being a good investment. This would be OK
if you already had a good AGP card, and you had drivers for it
that worked well.

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=tvpdgPNCPaABZRVU

The MS-7185 would be PCI Express. It has an Nvidia chipset. And
one of those 40mm fans on the chipset.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=203
http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_4add6fadb1eae4bd4e3307f6c6b61af3.jpg

********

The thing is, you can also find new stuff to compete with that.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
2x512KB L2, 6MB L3, Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor HDZ550WFGIBOX $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 (with PCI Express video card slot) $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813186165

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000424

(Always check the CPU support chart, to determine compatibility)
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&model=A7GM-S%202.0&cputype=

"AM3 PhenomIIx2 3.1G Callisto 550 512K*2 80W P"

2x1GB (dual channel) memory kit $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117

So for $215 you could go with new stuff, and faster at that. And
that motherboard has its own graphics output, so you don't even
need a PCI Express video card to test it when the motherboard arrives.
You still need the PCI Express video card, to get good gaming performance,
but if you don't have the video card on day one, you can still test
your new system.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-186-165-S02?$S640W$

I'm not mentioning the new stuff because I like new stuff. It
is the fact that you can get more processor for your money,
with a socket more modern than S939. Back in the S939 days, AMD
could charge a hefty price for their high end processors. Now,
they're in the bargain basement on the new stuff. And you can
still find memory to go with it, for a decent price.

Paul