From: Paulo Marques on
Fiziwig wrote:
> On Jul 20, 10:47 am, Paulo Marques <pmarq...(a)grupopie.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>[...]
> I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for a human being using a
> hard copy code book and pencil and paper. More optimal encodings,
> while more efficient, would necessarily be more complex for use by
> mere humans.

I don't see a reason for that. If you calculate the optimal encoding
using huffman and then write the "codebook" in alphabetical sorting
order, there is no reason for it to be more difficult to use.

> And don't forget, if the empire falls and civilization
> crumbles, future feudal lords and kings will once again have to rely
> on paper and pencil cryptography. ;-)

Even on such a scenario, the huffman algorithm is easy enough to be
executed by hand...

>[...]
>> This group takes cryptography seriously and your description just sounds
>> like an extremely "weak" cypher...
>
> Yes, very weak indeed. But I'm enjoying the project all the same. And
> besides, Byrne's "weak" cipher resisted cracking for many decades.
> (See my functional equivalent of the Choacipher machine at
> http://fiziwig.com/crypto/tile1.html )

Yes, because it didn't respect the Kerckhoffs' principle [1], so only
cryptographers with nothing better to do would even consider looking at
it. The moment the algorithm was made public, it was just a question of
days (IIRC) before it fell apart...

>> If you want a practical way to encrypt/decrypt emails to/from friends,
>> just take a look at gpg.
>
> yes, there are better ways to encrypt email for security, but this is
> a pencil and paper system, which appeals to my retro nature.

There are other pencil and paper systems out there, that have at least
not been completely broken yet and respect the Kerckhoffs' principle,
like Solitaire [2].

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27_principle

[2] http://www.schneier.com/solitaire.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solitaire_%28cipher%29
From: Fiziwig on
On Jul 21, 4:55 am, Paulo Marques <pmarq...(a)grupopie.com> wrote:
> Fiziwig wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 10:47 am, Paulo Marques <pmarq...(a)grupopie.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>[...]
> > I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for a human being using a
> > hard copy code book and pencil and paper. More optimal encodings,
> > while more efficient, would necessarily be more complex for use by
> > mere humans.
>
> I don't see a reason for that. If you calculate the optimal encoding
> using huffman and then write the "codebook" in alphabetical sorting
> order, there is no reason for it to be more difficult to use.

You right. I guess I was thinking in terms of splitting the ciphertext
stream into words. The rule that if you have a two or three letter
code group ending in {U,V,W,X,Y,Z} you need to take the next letter
from the ciphertext stream and add it to the code group made the self-
segregation _seem_ easier to perform. On the other hand, if the next
two code letters were "MQ" and there was no "MQ" in the code
dictionary, then you would have to include the next letter, say "R"
and look up "MQR", and so on until you found the shortest code group
in the ciphertext stream that had a dictionary equivalent.

Yes, that would work.

I stand corrected.

I shall have to rebuild the dictionary using the Huffman algorithm and
see what it looks like.

> > And don't forget, if the empire falls and civilization
> > crumbles, future feudal lords and kings will once again have to rely
> > on paper and pencil cryptography. ;-)
>
> Even on such a scenario, the huffman algorithm is easy enough to be
> executed by hand...

Yes, I suppose that's true. thank you for your constructive input.

--gary
From: rossum on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Fiziwig <fiziwig(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for a human being using a
>hard copy code book and pencil and paper.
Playfair.

rossum

From: WTShaw on
On Jul 20, 3:57 pm, Fiziwig <fizi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 11:06 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Fiziwig wrote:
> > > Encoded, the average is 2.35 Roman letters per English word, or about
> > > half the size of the same message in English plaintext. [snip]
>
> > Question: Would the efficiency be better if a larger alphabet, e.g.
> > both upper and lower case, be used?
>
> > (BTW, a different line of thought is in my post "A scheme of dictionary
> > coding of English words" of 29.06.2010.)
>
> > M. K. Shen
>
> I'm sure the compression would be better using upper and lower case,
> however, as a paper-and-pencil system there is too much room for
> confusion over uppercase and lower case hand-printed letters. In
> particular Cc, Kk, Ll, Oo, Pp, Ss, Uu, Vv, Xx, Yy, Zz. Since it is
> meant to be a paper-and-pencil system, that would make it too error-
> prone.
>
> I looked at your system. Very compact, but again, I prefer to stick to
> all upper case Roman letters for hand-written clarity.
>
> --gary

For had work, it is good that you see the error prone methods first
hand. The same is with the addition of digits as only a few can be so
added.
From: WTShaw on
On Jul 21, 3:59 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Fiziwig <fizi...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for a human being using a
> >hard copy code book and pencil and paper.
>
> Playfair.
>
> rossum

Playfair, not so great. Yes, hard by hand, but vulnerable by machine.