From: Mok-Kong Shen on
It's interesting to see how politics could influence software
production:

BTW, I read there:

The US government has banned the uploading and downloading of
open source code to residents of a handful of countries on its
sanctions list, which includes North Korea.

This recalls me of some (admittedly far-fetched, not herewith very
well related) past events, including stripping off of DES-module in OS
of SUN-computers delivered overseas, export restrictions on software
dealing with mathmetical logics (doing proofs by logic), ban on use by
east-block country scientists of super-computers in Western Europe
universities, ban on scientific journals accetpting papers from
authors of certain countries. I fail to see even a "really" justified
benefit-cost ratio there in the long run.

M. K. Shen