From: Mok-Kong Shen on
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/packet-forensics/
From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 25, 10:26 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/packet-forensics/

The device exploits the \0 attack where people get certs for things
like gmail.google.com\0fakedomain.com with old SSL/TLS libraries that
do a "strcmp" instead of a memcmp it will stop at the \0 and not
realize the certificates don't match.

All browsers have been patched as far as I know to not be vulnerable
to this.

Tom
From: mike clark on
On Mar 25, 8:26 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/packet-forensics/

From the article “Users have the ability to import a copy of any
legitimate key they obtain (potentially by court order)..." Have there
been any court cases where this has happened?

My guess is that the rest of that sentence is more likely what will
happen "...or they can generate ‘look-alike’ keys designed to give the
subject a false sense of confidence in its authenticity.” Users are
the weakest link, right?

Either way, I'm still using SSL.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
A related link:

http://www.crypto.com/blog/spycerts
From: Noob on
mike clark wrote:

> From the article "Users have the ability to import a copy of any
> legitimate key they obtain (potentially by court order)..." Have there
> been any court cases where this has happened?
>
> My guess is that the rest of that sentence is more likely what will
> happen "... or they can generate 'look-alike' keys designed to give the
> subject a false sense of confidence in its authenticity." Users are
> the weakest link, right?

cf. also via http://lwn.net/Articles/380140/

Matt Blaze's(*) take on the subject:
http://www.crypto.com/blog/spycerts/