From: Shadow on
Non OT because pidgin is freeware. OT because it's about that
bl&^%&^%y MSN.
What do the symbols next to the buddies mean ? There is one
which looks like a radio, which I assume means a cell phone, because
when I try to message it says I have to buy a cell phone and pay a
monthly tariff.
Then there is a round blue ball, which I have no idea at all
--- nothing happens if I click there.
There is a music icon, but no music, and a yellow chest ...
Any others I might have missed ?
I HAVE googled.
TIA
From: Beryl on

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#Whatdotheiconsnexttomybuddymean

> There is one which looks like a radio, which I assume means a cell
> phone, because when I try to message it says I have to buy a cell
> phone and pay a monthly tariff.

You may send SMS text msgs to this buddy's mobile device by right
clicking on the buddy and choosing 'Send to Mobile'

> Then there is a round blue ball, which I have no idea at all ---
> nothing happens if I click there.

The buddy is logged in using a web interface to chat

> There is a music icon, but no music,

This buddy has the musictracker plugin installed or is playing music on
Windows and has 'Now Playing' enabled to show to their buddies

> and a yellow chest ...

You are blocking this user

> Any others I might have missed ?

This user is a bot

> I HAVE googled. TIA

I looked thru Pidgin's online help
From: Phil on
On 12/08/2010 05:44, Beryl wrote:
> Shadow wrote:
>> Non OT because pidgin is freeware. OT because it's about that
>> bl&^%&^%y MSN. What do the symbols next to the buddies mean ?
>
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#Whatdotheiconsnexttomybuddymean
>

>> There is one which looks like a radio, which I assume means a cell
>> phone, because when I try to message it says I have to buy a cell
>> phone and pay a monthly tariff.
>
> You may send SMS text msgs to this buddy's mobile device by right
> clicking on the buddy and choosing 'Send to Mobile'
>
>> Then there is a round blue ball, which I have no idea at all ---
>> nothing happens if I click there.
>
> The buddy is logged in using a web interface to chat
>
>> There is a music icon, but no music,
>
> This buddy has the musictracker plugin installed or is playing music on
> Windows and has 'Now Playing' enabled to show to their buddies
>
>> and a yellow chest ...
>
> You are blocking this user
>
>> Any others I might have missed ?
>
> This user is a bot
>
>> I HAVE googled. TIA
>
> I looked thru Pidgin's online help

That was very helpful, Beryl - thanks ! (There is the wife of a feller
round the corner from me whom I lust after, a pocket Venus. Not the same
Beryl I trust ? ;-))