From: Rainer Weikusat on
bsh <brian_hiles(a)rocketmail.com> writes:
> “K-mart Cashier” <cdal...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> > [The shell access the stdout stream via] the stdout stream
>> > [which] is an abstract object provided by stdio (part of the
>> > C-library) ...
>
> Well, uh, not _exactly_.

Theoretically, producing fakes like the one above and wrongly
attributing them to others is a felony. Certainly in Germany and
probably in the country which has to endure your presence as well.

From: Geoff Clare on
bsh wrote:

>> > stdout is file descriptor 1 in the shell....
>
> Uh, no. While I have seen some official manpages of shells so
> egregriously imprecise as to actually use the terms "file
> descriptor," there simply are no FDs in shells. It is "File Unit
> Numbers,"
> being the 0..9 (and more in modern shells), which comprise the
> high-level abstraction of file descriptors.

SUSv4/POSIX.1-2008 XCU section 2.7 Redirection:

Open files are represented by decimal numbers starting with zero.
The largest possible value is implementation-defined; however, all
implementations shall support at least 0 to 9, inclusive, for use
by the application. These numbers are called "file descriptors".

--
Geoff Clare <netnews(a)gclare.org.uk>