From: Steve Holden on
Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> [...]
> very much more than the algorithm. I did implement the algorithm for
> him, in Python, and posted that in this thread.
>

>> I will, however, observe that your definition of a square wave is what I
>> would have to call a "'square' wave" (and would prefer to call a "pulse
>> train"), as I envisage a square wave as a waveform having a 50% duty
>> cycle, as in
>>
>> ___ ___
>> | | | |
>> | | | |
>> | | | |
>> +---+---+---+---+ and so on ad infinitum, (though I might allow you
>> |___| |___|
>>
>> as opposed to your
>>
>> _
>> | |
>> | |
>> ______| |______ ______
>> | |
>> | |
>> |_|
>>

> Try to read again, a sufficient number of times, how to generate the
> latter by summing *two instances of the former*.
>
> I'm sorry to say this but I find it hard to explain things simple enough
> for you, because at the level of 2+2 any explanation is far more complex
> than the concept itself.
>
> That is, of course, a challenge to me! :-)
>
> So, thanks for challenging my pedagogical abilities.
>
> I know they're not as good as they should be, and need some exercise!
>

>> So I can see how we might be at cross purposes. I could cite authorities
>> for differentiating between a square wave and a symmetric pulse train,
>> but will content myself with observing only that my impression is the
>> common definition of an ideal square wave (one with a zero transition
>> time) admits of only two instantaneous values, eschewing the zero you
>> use. If that is the case, we could perhaps agree that we differ merely
>> on terminology.
>
> No, we don't differ on terminology: we seem to differ in that one of us
> has severe difficulties understanding the very simplest things, such as
> what graph one gets by summing two squares waves of same frequency but
> out of phase.
>
> The one of us who has trouble understanding that is also apparently too
> lazy to try out the earlier advice given him of graphing this on a piece
> of paper, and instead prefers to spout innuendu, personal attacks and
> misleading statements.
>
> That's a real challenge to the other person.
>

>> Or, best of all, you could show me how to synthesize any waveform by
>> adding square waves with a 50% duty cycle. Then I *will* be impressed.
>
> You would, yes?
>
> Perhaps you'd also admit to being wrong, and retract your innuoendo etc.?
>
> Well, just epress the waveform as a sum of sine waves (Fourier
> transform); synthesize each sine wave by a set of 50% duty cycle square
> waves (I've earlier posted Python code for that in this thread); add all
> the square waves. The hard part of this is implementing the Fourier

Finally, I think, the penny is beginning to drop. Give me a little more
time to think about it and I can see I might be willing to write the
words "I was wring". Shame about my typing, isn't it? ;-)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

From: Steve Holden on
Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps you'd also admit to being wrong, and retract your innuoendo etc.?

Disregarding any matters of right or wrong (for this post, at least), I
herebe retract anything I have said about you that you consider
innuendo. Feel free to remind me what that was.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Steve Holden:
> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> [...]
>> Perhaps you'd also admit to being wrong, and retract your innuoendo etc.?
>>
> Disregarding any matters of right or wrong (for this post, at least), I
> herebe retract anything I have said about you that you consider
> innuendo.

OK.

> Feel free to remind me what that was.

It would IMHO serve no good purpose to reiterate that. At this point, let's just
start fresh.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:23:48 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> You're again into innuendo, misleading statements and so forth.
[...]
> [Steve Holden] prefers to spout innuendu, personal attacks and
> misleading statements.

Your constant and repeated accusations that any questioning of you is
deliberate lying and innuendo (innuendo of what, I wonder?) is getting
tiresome. You did this to me, accusing me of deliberate lying, and now
you're doing the same to Steve.

Just because people question the (alleged) facts as you report it doesn't
mean they're deliberately trying to mislead others. Hasn't it occurred to
you that perhaps we're not deliberately lying to make you look bad but
actually think you are mistaken? A difference of opinion is not evidence
that people are lying.

For somebody who fancies himself a writer teaching beginners to
programming, your communication skills leave something to be desired. I
hope your book is better than your posts, because from what I have seen
your writing in this newsgroup is frequently sloppy and hard to
understand, you tend to use terms in non-standard ways and then take any
misunderstandings as a personal affront, and if anyone questions what you
say, you're likely bristle and start looking for a fight.

I don't know what your problem is, but I wish you'd deal with it in
private and stop dumping it on the rest of us. You're a smart fellow who
brings much of value to the community, but dealing with your posts is
becoming more trouble than they're worth.

--
Steven
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Steven D'Aprano:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:23:48 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>
>> You're again into innuendo, misleading statements and so forth.
> [...]
>> [Steve Holden] prefers to spout innuendu, personal attacks and
>> misleading statements.
>
> Your constant and repeated accusations that any questioning of you is
> deliberate lying and innuendo (innuendo of what, I wonder?) is getting
> tiresome. You did this to me, accusing me of deliberate lying, and now
> you're doing the same to Steve.

You did lie, that's established. In addition as I recall in the same post you
went on about my motivations for doing the Terrible Deed that you invented. And
you named one poor person who'd made a silly mistake, stating that he didn't do
what the logs clearly showed he did do, and I think that was to force me to
argue a case against him (but happily he did a superb job after that initial
mistake, it would have been much harder for me to respond to your egging if not
for that very good job he did).

And now you're trying to get me to argue a case against another person.

That's not very nice.

> Just because people question the (alleged) facts as you report it doesn't
> mean they're deliberately trying to mislead others. Hasn't it occurred to
> you that perhaps we're not deliberately lying to make you look bad but
> actually think you are mistaken? A difference of opinion is not evidence
> that people are lying.

Mostly I assume that people who disagree with me think I'm mistaken, yes.

But when someone writes an article that's mainly or only about me, as has
happened once earlier in this thread and that now you're doing, then I of course
assume that it's personal, that the person writing has transferred some
grievances from the technical domain to the personal domain.

> For somebody who fancies himself a writer teaching beginners to
> programming, your communication skills leave something to be desired. I
> hope your book is better than your posts, because from what I have seen
> your writing in this newsgroup is frequently sloppy and hard to
> understand, you tend to use terms in non-standard ways and then take any
> misunderstandings as a personal affront, and if anyone questions what you
> say, you're likely bristle and start looking for a fight.

I'm probably a bad person, he he. :-)

> I don't know what your problem is, but I wish you'd deal with it in
> private and stop dumping it on the rest of us. You're a smart fellow who
> brings much of value to the community, but dealing with your posts is
> becoming more trouble than they're worth.

Well please stop posting these silly articles about me, and *please* stop
dragging other people into it.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last