From: Sam Wormley on
NATURE: Who should get credit for the Higgs particle?
A storm is brewing around the scientists in line to win the Nobel Prize
for predicting the elusive particle

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-politics-higgs-particle&sc=DD_20100806
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 06/08/2010 11:48 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
> NATURE: Who should get credit for the Higgs particle?
> A storm is brewing around the scientists in line to win the Nobel Prize
> for predicting the elusive particle
>
> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-politics-higgs-particle&sc=DD_20100806

I'd say the real storm is that they are getting ahead of themselves. No
Higgs has been found. This reminds me of the old proverb about counting
your chickens before they are hatched.

If no Higgs are found with the full 14 TeV LHC, then will these old men
be expected to live another ten years to await the building of the next
generation particle accelerator? By then many of them will be dead, and
the decision on who to award it to will become even more simple. Ah, but
we're counting our chickens here again too.

Yousuf Khan
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:48:13 -0500) it happened Sam Wormley
<swormley1(a)gmail.com> wrote in <lrWdndEtOYLgSsHRnZ2dnUVZ_oKdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>:

>NATURE: Who should get credit for the Higgs particle?
>A storm is brewing around the scientists in line to win the Nobel Prize
>for predicting the elusive particle
>
>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-politics-higgs-particle&sc=DD_20100806

Old saying says:
Do not sell skin of bear before you have shot it.
All about ego and phantasy, no science, zero.

The following must be scrapped:
CERN, LIGO, ITER.

So we can move on.
From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/7/10 12:38 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 11:48 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
>> NATURE: Who should get credit for the Higgs particle?
>> A storm is brewing around the scientists in line to win the Nobel Prize
>> for predicting the elusive particle
>>
>> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-politics-higgs-particle&sc=DD_20100806
>>

> I'd say the real storm is that they are getting ahead of themselves. No
> Higgs has been found. This reminds me of the old proverb about counting
> your chickens before they are hatched.
>
> If no Higgs are found with the full 14 TeV LHC, then will these old men
> be expected to live another ten years to await the building of the next
> generation particle accelerator? By then many of them will be dead, and
> the decision on who to award it to will become even more simple. Ah, but
> we're counting our chickens here again too.
>
> Yousuf Khan

There are orders of magnitude more energy in cosmic ray showers.

From: Yousuf Khan on
On 8/7/2010 8:48 AM, Sam Wormley wrote:
>> I'd say the real storm is that they are getting ahead of themselves. No
>> Higgs has been found. This reminds me of the old proverb about counting
>> your chickens before they are hatched.
>>
>> If no Higgs are found with the full 14 TeV LHC, then will these old men
>> be expected to live another ten years to await the building of the next
>> generation particle accelerator? By then many of them will be dead, and
>> the decision on who to award it to will become even more simple. Ah, but
>> we're counting our chickens here again too.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> There are orders of magnitude more energy in cosmic ray showers.

Haven't found the Higgs within those either?

Yousuf Khan