From: randomblink on
Wondering...

I've recently started playing with Google Maps and had a thought. Does
anyone know of a way of displaying HTML within a Form (or Page) from
within Access? I know I can link to an Access DB through an HTML (or
ASP, PHP, etc.) but I want to have an all in one... Access that opens
to an HTML form that can use Javascript that can query the DB to place
dots on a Google Map...

I know I 'might' be dreaming... but if I could make this happen... it
would be nice.
From: David W. Fenton on
randomblink <randomblink(a)gmail.com> wrote in
:

> I've recently started playing with Google Maps and had a thought.
> Does anyone know of a way of displaying HTML within a Form (or
> Page) from within Access? I know I can link to an Access DB
> through an HTML (or ASP, PHP, etc.) but I want to have an all in
> one... Access that opens to an HTML form that can use Javascript
> that can query the DB to place dots on a Google Map...
>
> I know I 'might' be dreaming... but if I could make this happen...
> it would be nice.

The web browser control is for this, but before A2010 it's not a
native Access control, so is a little rough around the edges. I
don't know if it's fully capable with JS, but since it's an embedded
version of your currently-installed IE's rendering engine, I'd
expect it to be so. There's also a Gecko web browser control that
also works in Access (Gecko is the Mozilla/Firefox rendering engine)
and its interface is identical to the MS web browser control, so can
very easily replace it so you get a better rendering engine.

If you're using A2010, the native web browser control seems like the
way to go. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe Albert Kallal was
raving about how great it is.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: randomblink on
Thank you very much man...
I'm hoping to zing together a packaged GIS solution in an Access MDB
file. Nothing "too" fancy, but what Google offers for free is amazing!