From: The Frog on
Hi Salad,

What would be the cost comparison between having a group host the
Sharepoint Server, and having your own? I would imagine that if your
number of daily hits is high enough the ownership angle is a better
option. Just rent some rack-space somewhere and a managed server, or
stick it in the cloud. Just a thought.

The Frog
From: Salad on
The Frog wrote:
> Hi Salad,
>
> What would be the cost comparison between having a group host the
> Sharepoint Server, and having your own? I would imagine that if your
> number of daily hits is high enough the ownership angle is a better
> option. Just rent some rack-space somewhere and a managed server, or
> stick it in the cloud. Just a thought.

I don't know. Albert mentioned something about $4,400 (don't know if
Canadian, US, or what) in a post somewhere regarding Sharepoint (but I
could be mistaken). I don't know what other additional costs are
incurred (besides tech support and installation/setup costs. Does one
need SQL Server and other software as well?) I suppose that $4,400 is a
one time fee. How many user licenses come with your Sharepoint server?
Somebody besides me would know but I suppose the fee would be a 1 time
shot as well). How much does it cost per additional user license? I
don't know.

On hosting the costs would be recurring, monthly, yearly near as I can
tell. Let's say you want to survey your employees (100 of them) about a
new employee benefits plan. Does one purchase 100 licenses for a month
(because this survey is a one time deal) and then go back to the
original amount of licenses after the survey)? I think that would be a
headache for both the hoster and the company person managing the
company's hosted site.