From: m26k9 on
Hello,

I am looking for some facts or specifications about an ADC quantizer.
Firstly I want to know if it possible for quantizers to dynamically change
their resolution? or is it fixed for a quantizer.

If the quantizer can actually change its resolution, I would be very
grateful if somebody could direct me to a site or a article about this
mechanism. Specifically;
1) The connection between resolution and sampling rate
2) Resolution and power consumption.

Any wisdom or reference is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
From: Mikolaj on
On 09-10-2009 at 08:33:39 m26k9 <maduranga.liyanage(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for some facts or specifications about an ADC quantizer.
> Firstly I want to know if it possible for quantizers to dynamically
> change
> their resolution? or is it fixed for a quantizer.

My first thought was oversampling,
shortly it is changing resolution within increasing sampling rate
(and there is a strict formula on that)

Very, very good tutorial is here:
http://www.lr.ttu.ee/irm/sideseadmete_mudeldamine/AD_MT_Tutorial.pdf

--
Mikolaj
From: m26k9 on
Dear Mikolaj.
Thank you very much. It is indeed an excellent tutorial. Has lot more
contents than the textbook I was using.

Thank you again.
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 10/9/2009 1:07 AM, Mikolaj wrote:
> On 09-10-2009 at 08:33:39 m26k9 <maduranga.liyanage(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for some facts or specifications about an ADC quantizer.
>> Firstly I want to know if it possible for quantizers to dynamically
>> change
>> their resolution? or is it fixed for a quantizer.
>
> My first thought was oversampling,
> shortly it is changing resolution within increasing sampling rate
> (and there is a strict formula on that)
>
> Very, very good tutorial is here:
> http://www.lr.ttu.ee/irm/sideseadmete_mudeldamine/AD_MT_Tutorial.pdf

I don't know who Walt Kester is, but I'm a fan!

That's an excellent reference for all things having to do with ADC/DAC
technology and issues.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Randy Yates on
Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> writes:

> On 10/9/2009 1:07 AM, Mikolaj wrote:
>> On 09-10-2009 at 08:33:39 m26k9 <maduranga.liyanage(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am looking for some facts or specifications about an ADC quantizer.
>>> Firstly I want to know if it possible for quantizers to dynamically
>>> change
>>> their resolution? or is it fixed for a quantizer.
>>
>> My first thought was oversampling,
>> shortly it is changing resolution within increasing sampling rate
>> (and there is a strict formula on that)
>>
>> Very, very good tutorial is here:
>> http://www.lr.ttu.ee/irm/sideseadmete_mudeldamine/AD_MT_Tutorial.pdf
>>

> I don't know who Walt Kester is, but I'm a fan!
>
> That's an excellent reference for all things having to do with ADC/DAC
> technology and issues.

It *is* a very nice reference. He looks like he was (or is) an Analog
Devices engineer - probably the type that writes their application notes. I
guess these *are* application notes?
--
Randy Yates % "Bird, on the wing,
Digital Signal Labs % goes floating by