From: GaryM on
My first posting to this group...

I bought an ADSP2181 EZ_kit Lite off Ebay. It is used as part of a ham
radio project called "pic-a-star". I have been enjoying playing with the
various example code found on the web too.

I recently found a Diamond Monster MX200 sound card which has a
ADSP2181, which I could de-solder and use to make the dedicated DSP PC
board for the pic-a-star.

The card is a PCI card, and it appears that there is no Linux driver for
this card. I was hoping that the Linux source code would help me figure
out how to load the ADSP2181 via the PCI interface. The idea is that the
card has all the analogue electronics nicely built in. The main chip is
a Diamond DMD-IO928, but it appears that there is zero information on
this part.

I did notice that there is a 14 pin 0.1" pitch connector which has not
been installed. It connects to the reserved pins ELIN, ELOUT, EE, ECLK,
etc., which are used to connect to an EZ-ICE. Now it appears that the
EZ-ICE was prohibitively expensive and they are probably totally
unobtainable now-a-days.

I have searched for any information regarding the protocol of this
"test" interface. I am guessing that it is probably possible to fill the
various memories and boot the ADSP2181 via this interface. It doesn't
surprise me that the protocol isn't released by AD, however they did
reveal in a document that it is a 40 bit serial interface. I again guess
that it might have a SPI type protocol.

I know it's a long shot, but does anybody have any information regarding
this interface? Is there any chance someone has put a logic analyser on
this interface to take a look at the packet format?

Here's hoping

--Gary (M1GRY)
From: Al Clark on
GaryM <gary(a)alma.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:Vu29n.33592$Ym4.31967
@text.news.virginmedia.com:

> My first posting to this group...
>
> I bought an ADSP2181 EZ_kit Lite off Ebay. It is used as part of a ham
> radio project called "pic-a-star". I have been enjoying playing with the
> various example code found on the web too.
>
> I recently found a Diamond Monster MX200 sound card which has a
> ADSP2181, which I could de-solder and use to make the dedicated DSP PC
> board for the pic-a-star.
>
> The card is a PCI card, and it appears that there is no Linux driver for
> this card. I was hoping that the Linux source code would help me figure
> out how to load the ADSP2181 via the PCI interface. The idea is that the
> card has all the analogue electronics nicely built in. The main chip is
> a Diamond DMD-IO928, but it appears that there is zero information on
> this part.
>
> I did notice that there is a 14 pin 0.1" pitch connector which has not
> been installed. It connects to the reserved pins ELIN, ELOUT, EE, ECLK,
> etc., which are used to connect to an EZ-ICE. Now it appears that the
> EZ-ICE was prohibitively expensive and they are probably totally
> unobtainable now-a-days.
>
> I have searched for any information regarding the protocol of this
> "test" interface. I am guessing that it is probably possible to fill the
> various memories and boot the ADSP2181 via this interface. It doesn't
> surprise me that the protocol isn't released by AD, however they did
> reveal in a document that it is a 40 bit serial interface. I again guess
> that it might have a SPI type protocol.
>
> I know it's a long shot, but does anybody have any information regarding
> this interface? Is there any chance someone has put a logic analyser on
> this interface to take a look at the packet format?
>
> Here's hoping
>
> --Gary (M1GRY)

We sell a small credit card size board that you might find useful. It is
uses
code compatible ADSP-2186 and an AC-97 codec. Tools are free (The original
GNU based that ADI once supplied.

http://www.danvillesignal.com/adsp-218x-products/dsp-8300-analog-devices-
adsp-218x-dsp-module.html

Al Clark