From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> xolo wrote:
>> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>>> If a special (and hence likely cheaper) handheld for AES is not
>>> available, implementing AES on palmtops shouldn't pose any problems,
>>> I suppose.
>
>> Doesn't Blackberry (the latest one) support AES and Tripple DES
>> already? I don't own one per se but I've heard that for Obama needed
>> such encryption capabilities to in order to continue using his
>> Blackberry. In practice therefore mobile phones should be able to
>> support AES.
>
> I also believe that possiblity of implementation shouldn't be an
> issue on the more modern devices. The point is, given a common need
> for communication security, why AES is not yet available on mobile
> phones in the market for the general public. (Anyway, I haven't seen
> such features advertised in my local mobile phone shops.)

From a hint of a friend, I recalled that there was long time ago
a highly controversial issue about the so-called Clipper phone (cf.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattblaze/2276520350/). This seems to
indicate anyway that there is indeed a substantial demand of secure
communications over phone.

M. K. Shen

From: Mok-Kong Shen on

See my posts in the recent thread of amzoti: "GSM Encryption".

M. K. Shen