From: Michael A on
On Sep 4, 12:53 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 5:56 am, Michael A <michael.m.ay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Experienced pgmr her but new to Ada, and using Stéphane Rivière's AIDE
> > downloaded development environment, but can't get it configured
> > properly to have gnatmake.exe in path.
>
> > Can anyone consult for me to get it configured properly?
>
> What did you do that gave you an error? A precise description of your
> symptoms (not your diagnosis) would help.
>
> Wild guess: according to the user's guide, the file aide.cmd
> configures the path for you; it assumes you installed aide in C:\aide.
> If that is not the case you need to change the ADA_ROOT variable in
> aide.cmd.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Error is: gnatmake -PC:\aide\aide\examples\gps\tutorial\sdc.gpr
sdc.adb -d -XBuild=DEBUG
[2009-09-04 10:42:18] Invalid command
From: Stéphane Rivière on
> Error is: gnatmake -PC:\aide\aide\examples\gps\tutorial\sdc.gpr
> sdc.adb -d -XBuild=DEBUG
> [2009-09-04 10:42:18] Invalid command

Hi Michael,

I've answered to your email dated 09/03... Here's a copy at the end of
this message.

Of course, Aide is free and support too, you have not to pay to get
support.

Reading your last messages, Aide could be installed in c:\aide\aide,
instead of c:\aide. Correct to c:\aide and that's all.

You'll find below the first level directory tree as an example.

C:\AIDE
+---bin
+---bina
+---binw
+---dlls
+---doc
+---etc
+---examples
+---home
+---info
+---lib
+---lock
+---share
+---tmp

Notices :

GPS was included as reference, but it was, at least at this time -many
years ago- buggy. I suggest you should use the customised Emacs
included (emacs is far superior in all cases, to my taste). An other
alternative is a simple but efficient editor : fte.

Aide is a multiuser UNIX like environment in windows (with true shell,
home, etc, lib, directories), able to make true Windows programs (no
cygwin). It is suitable for training, text, web and gtk development in
32 bits and Ada 95 dialect only, as Aide was created between 2001-2004.

**** 09/03 answer

Michael Ayres a �crit :

Hi Michael,

> I have downloaded your system for ADA, but can't get a build to work,
getting this error,

> gnatmake -PC:\ADA\aide\doc\gps\examples\tutorial\sdc.gpr sdc.adb -d
-XBuild=DEBUG
> [2009-09-02 20:41:11] Invalid command
>
> Looks like the gnatmake.exe is not in Windows path. Do you know
anyone you can send me to to help me configure properly.

It's just lack of english documentation, as the full manual is only in
french. Some people help me to translate it, but it's far from complete.

To get a zeroconfig and full working AIDE, you must leave it in c:\aide.

You can modify aide.cmd in line 37 (set ADA_ROOT=c:\aide) to modify the
root path, but I strongly recommend you leave c:\aide as root untill
you are confident with AIDE.

All could be customized in AIDE, but leaving this way, all is also
working from scratch, including printing, auto documentation, making
GTK programs and more.

While AIDE is now an old project, with only ADA 95 compiler, it is
allways used for basic and medium Ada training, as it is ready to work
after a simple copying from an USB key to c:\aide (if aide.cmd is not
modified). Proceeding that way, you can setup a serious Ada trainig
room in five minutes :)

It's also the last Ada zeroconfig integrated environment able to
produce commercial or totally free (NON GPL or BSD licence) programs.

Hope this helps, staying at your side, all the best from france.

From: Michael A on
On Sep 3, 8:19 am, Britt <britt.snodgr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 10:56 pm, Michael A <michael.m.ay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Experienced pgmr her but new to Ada, and using Stéphane Rivière's AIDE
> > downloaded development environment, but can't get it configured
> > properly to have gnatmake.exe in path.
>
> > Can anyone consult for me to get it configured properly?
>
> I can't help you with AIDE since I've never seen it.  However I
> suggest you also look at the GPL edition of the GNAT Programming
> Studio (GPS) if you are using GNAT and are new to Ada.  GPS is easy to
> configure and use, and it is "aware" of GNAT project files. It's
> available fromhttp://libre.adacore.com/libre/
>
> - Britt

I have downloaded from the web site you suggested, but not sure I got
the files I needed. I don't see anything like a compiler application
or development environment. I feel so dumb, but it is all rather
criptic for me.
From: sjw on
On Sep 15, 10:29 pm, Michael A <michael.m.ay...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded from the web site you suggested, but not sure I got
> the files I needed. I don't see anything like a compiler application
> or development environment. I feel so dumb, but it is all rather
> criptic for me.

I just went over there.

At the bottom of the pale blue box, it says "If you have problems
downloading or installing GNAT GPL or SPARK GPL Edition contact us at
gnat-gpl(a)adacore.com". They are very helpful!

However .. I assume you're on Windows? .. below that there's some
text, then a selector box labelled 'Select your platform', currently
set to x86-linux. Change that to x86-windows; the page refreshes, and
now the text in the box just underneath the selector reads

"This version of the GNAT GPL Edition is suitable for PC/x86 machines
running
Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and Windows Vista.

GNAT GPL 2009 contains the following:

- checksums.md5
Contains the list of MD5 checksums for all the files in this
distribution.

- gnat-gpl-2009-43-i686-pc-mingw32-bin.exe

This package contains the GPL Edition of GNAT, the Ada 2005 tool
chain
maintained by AdaCore, and includes GPS, a fully integrated IDE.
It also
includes full html documentation for both tools.

In order to install this package, double-click on it, and follow
the
instructions displayed on the screen. Note that you need Power
User
privileges in order to install this package. ....."

Go down a bit further, there's an open folder icon with 4 files inside
it - click on the third (gnat-gpl-2009-43-i686-pc-mingw32-bin.exe) to
download all 103 Mb of it, then follow the instructions above.

I can't do that now, cos I'm on a Mac, but as I remember you'll end up
with a program group called GNAT<something>; go there and select
GPS ... happy hunting!