From: moonhkt on
Hi All

I have UTF-8 file with Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese,
Japanese, Korean charset.
Since my database can not support UTF-8 Characters. We need converted
to ISO8859-1 character.
Then we can import and export those data. This process like Garbage
In, Garbage Out

How to using iconv force UTF-8 to ISO8859-1 conversion ? or other
tools to convert to ISO8859-1 ?

In Windows, using UTF-8 editor can have into ISO8859-1 character set.
after conversion, the character like Garbage.

e.g.
In AIX,
iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO8859-1 utf_file_01.text > abc.txt
All CJK characters missing on abc.txt file

From: Ben Bacarisse on
moonhkt <moonhkt(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I have UTF-8 file with Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese,
> Japanese, Korean charset.
> Since my database can not support UTF-8 Characters. We need converted
> to ISO8859-1 character.
> Then we can import and export those data. This process like Garbage
> In, Garbage Out
>
> How to using iconv force UTF-8 to ISO8859-1 conversion ? or other
> tools to convert to ISO8859-1 ?
>
> In Windows, using UTF-8 editor can have into ISO8859-1 character set.
> after conversion, the character like Garbage.

The editor must use the same character encoding as the file. Editing
an ISO 8859-1 encoded file as if it were UTF-8 will not work.

> e.g.
> In AIX,
> iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO8859-1 utf_file_01.text > abc.txt
> All CJK characters missing on abc.txt file

This may be the best you can hope for. ISO 8859-1 simply can't
represent the Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters, so iconv just
omits them.

--
Ben.