From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

HardySpicer wrote:

> Synchronous demodulation using a PLL will give you 3dB improvement
> over ordinary envelope detection.

This is wrong.

Synchronous demodulation makes improvement from 0dB to infinity,
depending on SNR.

> The problem arrises when you want to do synchronous demod and the
> carrier isn't there!
> What I mean by that is that when you have
> double sideband supressed carrier. There is no power at the carrier
> freq then and nothing to lock onto.
>
> Solution...among otehr things you need to square the received waveform
> and lock into twice the carrier then divide down (missing some other
> crucial steps).

Let the dumb lead the blind.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: Tim Wescott on
Jerry Avins wrote:

>>> I am assuming that he is properly prepping the signal prior to the
>>> multiplication by sin/cos and will pick appropriate filters at
>>> baseband.
>>

>> Ok I must admit that I'm more confused than before! Why do you still
>> need a
>> bandpass filter for method 2? Isn't multiplying by sin/cos shifting the
>> carrier frequency to DC?
>
> What Brent said. Keep in mind that you not only shift the carrier to
> baseband, you also shift everything else down by a similar amount. Where
> do the aliases of the out-of-band signals go?
>
>> About method 1 having the problem of peak values not being close to full
>> scale, can we say that this is not a problem when fs>> carrier?
>
> When the carrier is adequately oversampled, method 1 works. I leave it
> to you to determine what "adequate" means. How many samples per carrier
> cycle are needed to ensure that one is at least 95% of either peak? Is
> that a reasonable expenditure of resources?

Except that by his original description he's not peak-seeking -- he's
averaging the absolute value. That _ought_ to work better, but I don't
know by how much.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: HardySpicer on

Hardy
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Clay wrote:

> This is a wonderful example of how a trivial method in analog (diode
> and RC filter) is not really how you want to do it in digital. Now if
> he has an analytic signal ....

Except for the diode detector doesn't work like the simplified textbook
desccription. An accurate analysis requires involved math.

From: gretzteam on
>Synchronous demodulation using a PLL will give you 3dB improvement
>over ordinary envelope detection.

3dB improvement of what? I don't quite understand how to qualify such a
system. I assume you mean SNR, but how does it get measured?

>What Brent said. Keep in mind that you not only shift the carrier to
>baseband, you also shift everything else down by a similar amount. Where
>do the aliases of the out-of-band signals go?

Ok this is the part I don't understand! Can you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks a lot!