From: HardySpicer on
On Apr 26, 3:59 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> Jerry Avins wrote:
> > If synchronous demodulation loses the signal
> > even when I/Q demodulation tracks it, in what way is synchronous
> > demodulation superior? Have you had a chance to compare the outputs of
> > the two detectors when both are working?
>
> BTW, in the modern ICs, they demodulate AM in a quasi-synchronous way:
> the bandpass signal is digitized by comparator and the output of the
> comparator drives the analog switch which does synchronous
> rectification. The advantage is much better linearity compared to diode
> detector. Obviously this could be improved by adding a narrowband filter
> in front of the comparator; however it is not worth extra cost for
> consumer applications.
>
> Vladimir Vassilevsky
> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com

Could all be done with an op-amp! What nonsense. How to make radio
1000 times more complicated than it need be.

Hardy
From: steveu on
>On Apr 26, 3:59=A0am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Jerry Avins wrote:
>> > If synchronous demodulation loses the signal
>> > even when I/Q demodulation tracks it, in what way is synchronous
>> > demodulation superior? Have you had a chance to compare the outputs
of
>> > the two detectors when both are working?
>>
>> BTW, in the modern ICs, they demodulate AM in a quasi-synchronous way:
>> the bandpass signal is digitized by comparator and the output of the
>> comparator drives the analog switch which does synchronous
>> rectification. The advantage is much better linearity compared to diode
>> detector. Obviously this could be improved by adding a narrowband
filter
>> in front of the comparator; however it is not worth extra cost for
>> consumer applications.
>>
>> Vladimir Vassilevsky
>> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>
>Could all be done with an op-amp! What nonsense. How to make radio
>1000 times more complicated than it need be.

Vlad described a solution consisting of a comparator (i.e. an op-amp with
op-amp crossed out, and comparator written across it in crayon) and an
analogue switch (i.e. one of the simplest structures in mixed signal CMOS).
Your solution requires an op-amp and a diode. Can you explain the 1000
times complexity ratio?

Steve