From: Anonymous on
I was thinking of upgrading the old ZX Specky,
and saw that AMD have a new Opteron out named:
Magny-Cours
perhaps a pun on many cores, or connoting racy performance.
Will they also be putting out a "Monza" or "Nurburgring"?
(Better than the creaking Hebrew names from Intel and VIA.)
And since they sponsor Scuderia Ferrari, will they be
spruking at the French GP?

From: Yousuf Khan on
Anonymous wrote:
> I was thinking of upgrading the old ZX Specky,
> and saw that AMD have a new Opteron out named:
> Magny-Cours
> perhaps a pun on many cores, or connoting racy performance.

A lot of AMD's processor codenames are based on Formula 1 racing venues,
such as Barcelona, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, Istanbul, etc.

> Will they also be putting out a "Monza" or "Nurburgring"?

Might be coming, as well as Suzuka.

> (Better than the creaking Hebrew names from Intel and VIA.)
> And since they sponsor Scuderia Ferrari, will they be
> spruking at the French GP?

Don't know what "spruking" means, but the French GP doesn't exist
anymore. They are trying to revive it in a few years, but it won't be at
Magny-Cours anymore. They are trying to make a street race in Paris now.

Yousuf Khan
From: Robert Myers on
On Apr 8, 8:47 am, Anonymous <cri...(a)ecn.org> wrote:
> I was thinking of upgrading the old ZX Specky,
> and saw that AMD have a new Opteron out named:
>  Magny-Cours
> perhaps a pun on many cores, or connoting racy performance.
> Will they also be putting out a "Monza" or "Nurburgring"?
> (Better than the creaking Hebrew names from Intel and VIA.)
> And since they sponsor Scuderia Ferrari, will they be
> spruking at the French GP?

How can you be asking such frivolous questions faced with such a
fundamental breakthrough in computing?

AMD has discovered a scalable solution to the challenge of Core ix.
They will simply glue as many dies together as necessary to keep up
and sell them cheap.

Hard on gross margin, but that's never been AMD's long suit, anyway.

Robert.