From: Mikel Lindsaar on

Mail version 2.2.0 has been pushed to RubyGems.org.

I have also updated ActionMailer to use Mail 2.2.0 which removes (finally)
all quoting and encoding of mail parts from ActionMailer, the methods in
ActionMailer worked for most use cases, but there were a lot of edge cases
they did not handle well, or at all.

Mail 2.2.0 should provide you with:

* Auto encoding and decoding of header fields from multibyte strings to
US-ASCII representations
* Auto detection and encoding of body parts so that you can send non
US-ASCII bodies without having to pre-encode them
* Many, many, many, many minor updates to how these parts are encoded and
decoded, providing a much more readable and usable mail message.

Many thanks to Peter Bowen, from the SUSE project who contributed the Body
encoding auto detection. Peter has also been added to the Mail project as a
developer from this awesome work.

Look for Mail 2.2.0 to be included in the next Rails release.

You can install Mail with:

$ gem install mail

You can fork it at:

http://github.com/mikel/mail

If you want the latest actionmailer with Mail installed, look for it to
appear shortly on http://github.com/rails/rails (my copy is at
http://github.com/mikel/rails)

Please test, let me know bugs via the github tracker. Now that 2.2.0 is
out, I am going to dive in to start resolving any outstanding bugs.

Finally, my work on mail is unpaid and I do it as part of my community
contribution through my company RubyX.

Regards

Mikel

--