From: Felipe Contreras on
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:34 AM, David Brown <davidb(a)codeaurora.org> wrote:
> It seems a bit brute force, probably not something I can make part of
> our regular build process, but I can definitely run it before sending
> patches out.
>
> I wonder if there's a more efficient way of doing it that doesn't
> involve invoking make for each line of the file.  It at least
> shouldn't be necessary to actually build the kernel each time.

Yes, I think there's a more efficient way to do it, but it would
require the SAT resolver, or something like that.

--
Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux(a)arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:40:36AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux(a)arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > When you brought up the problem you seemed absolutely convinced
>> > that nothing except your solution was going to be acceptable.
>>
>> That's not true. What's true is that you didn't seem to _understand_
>> my solution, so I tried to push the understanding of it.
>
> That's your point of view.
>
> My viewpoint was that I had read your email, thought of some alternative
> solution, proposed it and the result was shot down without any apparant
> thought about it.  That gave the impression that you _only_ wanted to
> see your own solution.

I think you got it wrong. Linus liked my proposal of minimal
defconfigs, and the only discrepancy was on the format:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/995419

--
Felipe Contreras
From: Uwe Kleine-König on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 04:34:04PM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 16:18:01 Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > 2010/7/12 David Brown <davidb(a)codeaurora.org>:
> > >
> > > Do you have scripts or tools that you did this with, or is a manual
> > > process. We're about to add several new (ARM) targets, and it'd be
> > > nice to be able to make small defconfigs for those targets as well.
> >
> > Uwe posted it earlier in this thread as an attachement, and I put the
> > python script into the merge commit message too. And we should
> > probably put it somewhere in scripts too, and/or make a 'make' target
> > to create the small config files.
> >
> > I pushed it all out, and tagged it as -rc5.
>
> Got it, thanks. I just pulled a bit soon.
>
> It seems a bit brute force, probably not something I can make part of
> our regular build process, but I can definitely run it before sending
> patches out.
>
> I wonder if there's a more efficient way of doing it that doesn't
> involve invoking make for each line of the file. It at least
> shouldn't be necessary to actually build the kernel each time.
Note that no kernel is built at all, only the config is regenerated once
for each line.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-K�nig |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
From: Tony Luck on
2010/7/14 Uwe Kleine-K�nig <u.kleine-koenig(a)pengutronix.de>:
> Note that no kernel is built at all, only the config is regenerated once
> for each line.

You could special case blank lines and comments (other than ones
like "# CONFIG_FOO is not set" which do matter). They account for
~15% of the lines in my .config files. But it probably doesn't matter
all that much. I just ran reduce_defconfig in parallel on all the ia64
defconfig files (in separate build trees) and they were all done when
I looked back an hour or so later. Nice tool!

-Tony