From: StoneThrower on
Hi,

Can someone (perhaps resident Atmel guru Ulf Samuelsson RSVP) arguably
explain how AVR32 is posioned against competition in terms of market share
and future "road map". I guess I'm asking for a kind of marketing pitch to
convince me that investing money in development tools and time in learning
them is a "good" investment in a long run, in contrast with the same
time/money dilema pertaining ARMs (therefore ***no*** PIC32 dilema here).

I'm not asking for a ARM vs AVR32 technical dissection(s), although I
wouldn't mind, just some courage to jump into deep AVR32 waters. I still
have a kind of fobia regarding infamous Hitachi's "6 months notice before
EOL".

--
StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com

From: -jg on
On May 31, 9:48 pm, "StoneThrower" <digi_64-
public[removethis]@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone (perhaps resident Atmel guru Ulf Samuelsson RSVP) arguably
> explain how AVR32 is posioned against competition in terms of market share
> and future "road map".

posioned ?

One indicator is usage, and you can get one measure of that, from
Digikey :

If an item is currently in stock, but also showing 'non-stock', then
that means they will not re-stock (sales too slow?) when stocks do run
out, and so that could be a good package/device combination to avoid.

Here is an example: AT32UC3B1128-Z1UT-ND (QFN48)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AT32UC3B1128-Z1UT-ND

-jg
From: StoneThrower on
> posioned ?
right, posiTIoned, sorry, my bad, I haven't run my post thru spelling
checker.

--
StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com

From: Chris H on
In message <c7fe4150-c1c0-409c-92a3-b5ef054b2975(a)u20g2000pru.googlegroup
s.com>, -jg <jim.granville(a)gmail.com> writes
>On May 31, 9:48�pm, "StoneThrower" <digi_64-
>public[removethis]@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone (perhaps resident Atmel guru Ulf Samuelsson RSVP) arguably
>> explain how AVR32 is posioned against competition in terms of market share
>> and future "road map".
>
>posioned ?
>
>One indicator is usage, and you can get one measure of that, from
>Digikey :

Not really. It could be that as the AVR32 is so popular with the big
users Atmel does not have time for small players like Digikey. Most
reps for Silicon distis don't get out of bed for deals at less than 50K
USD p/a.

I doubt Digi sells the AVR32 in volume. It is not as though they are
quoting for reels/trays with a MOQ of 250, their highest price break is
100 off.

Any one doing serious development will be able to get 10-20 parts as
free samples so no need of Digikey.

From: larwe on
On May 31, 6:50 am, Chris H <ch...(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

> Any one doing serious development will be able to get 10-20 parts as
> free samples so no need of Digikey.

Ha. I work for a company with around US$33BN in market capitalization.
We use HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Atmel devices a year.

Per policy, it is extremely difficult to get more than 5 samples of
any part out of Atmel. Direct or through disti, it is just not
possible. You have to get your rep to split the orders into multiple
fake orders to fake customers just to get 20 parts.