From: brett on
Hello,
I'm trying to install the AWS package so that I might try eMail access from an Ada program,

I'm using GNAT/GPS 2005 under Sidux 2009-4

I apt-get to installed the various GNAT AWS files from the Debian repository without problems, however when
trying to access the AWS functions I encountered a few problems.

Note: I have setup the two export variables thus:

brett(a)sidux94:~$ export
declare -x ADA_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/share/ada/adainclude"
declare -x ADA_OBJECTS_PATH="/usr/lib/ada/adalib"

I also included the

/usr/share/ada/adainclude

in the GPS Project Properties 'source files' list

I copied the example program 'Test_Mail.adb' from the downloaded
Aws file from AdaCore site to use as a base learning tool.

During the compilation phase I ran into a few missing files, which was
a bit disconcerting as I assumed the installed software was complete
and tested. ?!?

Missing were:
aws_os_lib.ads ( I found a file aws_os-lib_definitions.ads )
ssl_thin.ads ( I found a few ssl_??.abs files, so I chose ssl_thin_openssl.ads )

So I copied the found files and renamed them as required, I realize this might cause
later problems but I was interested to see if the compile would proceed.
It did without errors, until the following:

gnatmake -g -d -P/home/brett/Ada-eMail/test_mail.gpr test_mail.adb
gcc-4.4 -c -g -I- -gnatA /usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws/aws-translator.adb
cannot generate code for file aws-translator.adb (missing subunits)
to check parent unit for errors, use -gnatc
aws-translator.adb:402:04: warning: subunit "AWS.TRANSLATOR.CONVERSION" in file "aws-translator-conversion.adb" not found
gnatmake: "/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws/aws-translator.adb" compilation error

[2010-05-15 12:50:23] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time: 01.51s)

This error is beyond my limited Ada knowledge to even contemplate a quick 'fix'

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

---
frmsrcurl: http://compgroups.net/comp.lang.ada/
From: Pascal Obry on
Brett,

> I'm trying to install the AWS package so that I might try eMail
> access from an Ada program,
>
> I'm using GNAT/GPS 2005 under Sidux 2009-4

GNAT version is a bit old! Nothing more recent?

> I apt-get to installed the various GNAT AWS files from the Debian
> repository without problems, however when trying to access the AWS
> functions I encountered a few problems.

Not sure which package you are referring to. But if the Debian sources
are quite up-to-date (which I think is the case), you'll be into trouble
with GNAT GPL from 2005!

It is quite difficult to give advices with such old compiler as many
things have improved since then. Thecurrent AWS build procedure may not
be compatible with this version for example.

> I copied the example program 'Test_Mail.adb' from the downloaded Aws
> file from AdaCore site to use as a base learning tool.
>
> During the compilation phase I ran into a few missing files, which
> was a bit disconcerting as I assumed the installed software was
> complete and tested. ?!?
>
> Missing were: aws_os_lib.ads ( I found a file
> aws_os-lib_definitions.ads ) ssl_thin.ads ( I found a few
> ssl_??.abs files, so I chose ssl_thin_openssl.ads )
>
> So I copied the found files and renamed them as required, I realize
> this might cause later problems but I was interested to see if the
> compile would proceed. It did without errors, until the following:
>
> gnatmake -g -d -P/home/brett/Ada-eMail/test_mail.gpr test_mail.adb
> gcc-4.4 -c -g -I- -gnatA
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws/aws-translator.adb cannot generate code
> for file aws-translator.adb (missing subunits) to check parent unit
> for errors, use -gnatc aws-translator.adb:402:04: warning: subunit
> "AWS.TRANSLATOR.CONVERSION" in file "aws-translator-conversion.adb"
> not found gnatmake:
> "/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws/aws-translator.adb" compilation error
>
> [2010-05-15 12:50:23] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time:
> 01.51s)
>
> This error is beyond my limited Ada knowledge to even contemplate a
> quick 'fix'

Looks like the installed AWS project files are not correct as they do
not respect the naming convention of some units.

You may get better support on the AWS mailing-list.

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

From: Ludovic Brenta on
brett <user(a)compgroups.net/> writes:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to install the AWS package so that I might try eMail access
> from an Ada program,
>
> I'm using GNAT/GPS 2005 under Sidux 2009-4

The Debian packages are meant for use with the Debian package "gnat", so
you do not need any GPL Edition. Besides, 2005 GPL Edition is ancient
by now. I suggest you deinstall it; chances are that you already have
the package "gnat" and "gnat-4.4" installed.

> I apt-get to installed the various GNAT AWS files from the Debian
> repository without problems, however when trying to access the AWS
> functions I encountered a few problems.
>
> Note: I have setup the two export variables thus:
>

> brett(a)sidux94:~$ export
> declare -x ADA_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/share/ada/adainclude"
> declare -x ADA_OBJECTS_PATH="/usr/lib/ada/adalib"
>
> I also included the
>
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude
>
> in the GPS Project Properties 'source files' list

This is not the correct way to use the Debian packages and this explains
all your problems. Read the proper instructions in the file
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws.gpr, follow the instructions therein and
all your problems will go away.

[...]
> This error is beyond my limited Ada knowledge to even contemplate a
> quick 'fix'

Read the Debian Policy for Ada, chapter 6, "Using shared libraries":

http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html#Using-shared-libraries

--
Ludovic Brenta.