From: btibbet on
I have an Access 2007 database where I can launch a Word 2007 merge
document whose data source is a query that looks back to a control on
the form for a parameter.

I am forced to use DDE to link the document to the query, but Word
then opens a second copy of the database (without the form showing)
and is prompting for the value of the control.

I have no database title specified.

What's more confusing is that this problem only occurs on users'
machines, not mine. All machines are Windows XP SP3.

I've been Googling now for about 8 hours with no success (only hits
tell me to remove the custom title from the database or use ODBC which
dosen't see the parameterized query).

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!
From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
btibbet wrote:
>I have an Access 2007 database where I can launch a Word 2007 merge
>document whose data source is a query that looks back to a control on
>the form for a parameter.
>
>I am forced to use DDE to link the document to the query, but Word
>then opens a second copy of the database (without the form showing)
>and is prompting for the value of the control.
>
>I have no database title specified.
>
>What's more confusing is that this problem only occurs on users'
>machines, not mine. All machines are Windows XP SP3.
>
>I've been Googling now for about 8 hours with no success (only hits
>tell me to remove the custom title from the database or use ODBC which
>dosen't see the parameterized query).
>
>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Just wondering, but what if you use Albert's Super Easy Word Merge code?
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html

From: david on
Use spy++ to check the window title:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa264396(VS.60).aspx

Use DDESPY to check the DDE traffic.
If you don't have another version, use the Open Watcom
version:
http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Download

(david)

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
A demo of various Access to Word automation operations, including mail
merging, is at:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=23781.1&nav=messages&webtag=ws-msdevapps

It's always worked fine for me in all versions up to Access 2007, and I've
had no feed-back from others to the contrary. The query in it also
references a form's control as a parameter, but the merge actually uses a
text file as its source document. This is created from the query at runtime.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: btibbet on
On May 26, 2:24 pm, btibbet <bill_tibbe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an Access 2007 database where I can launch a Word 2007 merge
> document whose data source is a query that looks back to a control on
> the form for a parameter.
>
> I am forced to use DDE to link the document to the query, but Word
> then opens a second copy of the database (without the form showing)
> and is prompting for the value of the control.
>
> I have no database title specified.
>
> What's more confusing is that this problem only occurs on users'
> machines, not mine.  All machines are Windows XP SP3.
>
> I've been Googling now for about 8 hours with no success (only hits
> tell me to remove the custom title from the database or use ODBC which
> dosen't see the parameterized query).
>
> AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Upon further review, and a sleepless night, I figured out what's
happening...If you map to the data source using an absolute path, but
open the database using a relative path, DDE doesn't resolve the
absolute path so it opens up another instance of the database.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Pages: 1
Prev: Update prices in access from Excell
Next: aaa