From: royfarnol on
Because of a power surge I lost one of my database records.

Is there anyway I can restore the missing auto number?

I would like to do so in order that several other database numbers remain
synchronised.

Thanks, Roy.

From: Jon Lewis on
This is a bad idea. There are a number of reasons why auto numbers may not
be contiguous and for that reason it's not advisable to use them for this
purpose. You can try to generate your own sequential series of numbers but
even that probably wouldn't be completely fool proof.

Post details of the synchronisation you need as there's probably another
solution.

HTH

Jon

From: royfarnol on
It probably is a bad idea but it has been done and it involves other
people's databases.

The Access program I run produces an item number, by way of the autonumber
function, which is then notified to several other people as a master item
number. After that each procesesses the information in their own way. When
results (or sometimes lack of results) are finalised (or exhuasted) the
report comes back under the master number.

I would rather not have to begin again as it were but reintroduce the number
that was obliterated by the power surge. I know one could issue a number of
one's own but human error then creeps in, which is why the autonumber
function was picked in the first place.

But maybe you have a better idea or a workaround solution?

Thanks, Roy.

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
You can insert a row into the table, with a specific value for the autonumber
column by means of an 'append' query, e.g.

INSERT INTO [YourTable] ([ItemNumber], [ItemText])
VALUES(42, "Widget");

But relying on an auto number to give an uninterrupted sequence is very risky.
Its far better to automatically compute the number when a row is inserted.
Roger Carlson has simple solutions, for both single-user and multi-user
environments at:

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic395.html

and there is a more complex one of mine for use in a multi-user environment,
which also allows for the next number to be used to be 'seeded' at:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=libraryMessages&tsn=1&tid=23839&webtag=ws-msdevapps

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: royfarnol on
Thankyou Mr. Sherdian. I'll look into those links you gave for a better way.

"KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com" <u51882(a)uwe> wrote in message
> You can insert a row into the table, with a specific value for the
> autonumber
> column by means of an 'append' query, e.g.
>
> INSERT INTO [YourTable] ([ItemNumber], [ItemText])
> VALUES(42, "Widget");
>
> But relying on an auto number to give an uninterrupted sequence is very
> risky.
> Its far better to automatically compute the number when a row is inserted.
> Roger Carlson has simple solutions, for both single-user and multi-user
> environments at:
>
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic395.html
>
> and there is a more complex one of mine for use in a multi-user
> environment,
> which also allows for the next number to be used to be 'seeded' at:
>
> http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=libraryMessages&tsn=1&tid=23839&webtag=ws-msdevapps
>

> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
> royfarnol wrote:
>>It probably is a bad idea but it has been done and it involves other
>>people's databases.
>>
>>The Access program I run produces an item number, by way of the autonumber
>>function, which is then notified to several other people as a master item
>>number. After that each procesesses the information in their own way. When
>>results (or sometimes lack of results) are finalised (or exhuasted) the
>>report comes back under the master number.
>>
>>I would rather not have to begin again as it were but reintroduce the
>>number
>>that was obliterated by the power surge. I know one could issue a number
>>of
>>one's own but human error then creeps in, which is why the autonumber
>>function was picked in the first place.
>>
>>But maybe you have a better idea or a workaround solution?
>>
>>Thanks, Roy.
>>
>>> This is a bad idea. There are a number of reasons why auto numbers may
>>> not be contiguous and for that reason it's not advisable to use them for
>>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: qualquer