From: Colin Macleod on
"pg(a)gmail.com" <phil.ganchev(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:0554c0fe-fb41-408d-
a96d-dfb2b3554464(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com:

> Is there a way to make a Unix shell always store the output of its
> command in a variable or a file, so that the output of the last
> command is always available without re-running the command and without
> copy-pasting from the terminal? Matlab has such a variable, which I
> think is called "res".

This is one of the features of a shell/terminal program I wrote -
http://wiki.tcl.tk/gush . All output is saved, the output of command
number n can be accessed as $out(n), its standard error output as $err(n),
with $_ as a shortcut for the previous command's output. While this might
sound very inefficient, I have not had problems in practice, and I've been
using this shell full-time and almost exclusively for 3 years now. The
systems I work on are rebooted weekly, so that puts a limit on the length
of each session. I don't run character-graphic editors in the shell,
instead using an editor that creates its own window eg. gvim.
The shell is written in Tcl but the command syntax it accepts is pretty
close to standard shells.

Colin.
From: Robert Bonomi on
In article <0554c0fe-fb41-408d-a96d-dfb2b3554464(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
pg(a)gmail.com <phil.ganchev(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there a way to make a Unix shell always store the output of its
>command in a variable or a file,

No, no way to make it happen automatically. Consider what would happen if
there were such a 'feature', and somebody ran 'telnet localhost:chargen'