From: tgavin on
I have an access db that I have packaged and sold to professional quilters
for several years. Unfortunately a lot of them are mac users and I think I am
ready to try to move it to a web based program that people can sign into
(subscription based). I really do not want to reinvent the wheel(or the
database). Does anyone have any ideas on the easiest and most effective way
to convert it. All ideas are welcome from programs, hosting sites,
literature. The only thing that is not an option is paying someone to do it.

Thanks so much
Terri
From: Jeff Conrad [MSFT] on
Hi Terri,

Excellent question and I'm sure you'll get lots of good options from the people that frequent these
newsgroups. I'll offer at least option to consider.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but Access 2010, which is nearing it's release date, has a
great new feature that interacts with SharePoint 2010 called Access Services. Essentially, you can
create an Access web database in Access 2010, publish it to a SharePoint Server that is running
Access Services and you can view your web forms and web reports in a browser - and that includes
compatibility with Safari browser.

Functionality-wise you can't do all the things on web forms and web reports that you can do with
client forms/reports, however, you can still use all the rich client Access features connected up
with your Access Services sites.

Access Services requires SharePoint Server 2010 to run. There are third party vendors, including
Microsoft, that will be offering hosting services for Access Services. There is one third party
vendor already up and running that has been working with the Beta test community. You can find that
company here:
http://www.AccessHosting.com

You can learn more about Access Services by following our team blog here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/access/

--
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Presenter - Microsoft Access 2007 Essentials
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx

From: Daniel Pineault on
Terri,

This isn't truly an access question, but I do understand where you are
comming from on the subject. You will also see, that there is no right or
wrong avenue to take. There are a multitude of technologies to choose from
and to a certain extent it depends on needs and personal preferences.

Personally, IMHO, if you truly wish to make an online system, then I would
recommend moving to something like MySQL and PHP (HTML, Javascript,...). For
a number of reasons:

-The price is right (they are free)
-You can setup you home pc to run them so you do the development and
preliminary testing offline
-Extensive online resources for learning and forum for asking specific
questions when you run into a problem
-Most host, if not all, host MySQL and PHP (this is not the case for
SQLServer & ASP - Although if you go that route you can still easily find a
host but in my experience hosting cost are superior)

Programs:
Dreamweaver works very well, but you can find online free software that
works just as good. It really depends on your needs. At the end of the day,
I often use Notepad/PSPad (a simple text editor) it is faster and simpler at
times. Just get a program with synthax highlighting as it will help you.
You'll need an FTP program (FileZilla work very well and is free)

Hosts:
Iweb.com is the best price on the market from my research and from my
experience they are very reliable.

Lastly, if you do go the php route check out http://www.phpclasses.org/
there you can find tons of premade classes that you can simply drop into
place. Save you the time and hassel and you can sometimes find almost what
you need, so you need only do a minor tweak ...
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
You only have a few choices if you want a web database that is accessible
using a Safari browser, and that is to build an asp/asp.net or other web
language front-end. In addition to asp, you can use php or cold fusion.

If your users will go with an IE browser, you can use SharePoint as well,
and there is some great integration in Access 2010 due out in the middle of
next month.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Mark Andrews on
I would go with asp.net and a SQL Server back-end. ASP would be ok I guess
if you don't want to make the big switch.
However either way you need javascript and good HTML/CSS skills. PHP/MySQL
is your other popular route.

You could switch to filemaker instead of Access, it's not too bad of a
switch for Access developers and will work
cross platform. That wouldn't be web-based (unless you use their server
platform).

Microsoft CRM is a very nice framework if you could somehow get that in the
mix. You can build lots of the application
just using the tools.

Unfortunately for anyone who has not done web-based applications most
web-based routes will not be an easy journey.
Find a good web designer to handle the look/feel aspects of the system.

There are lots of little tools to convert Access to asp or asp.net (I never
tried any of them, maybe they work ok, I doubt it?)

My two cents,

--
Mark Andrews
RPT Software