From: Darrell Burns on
Hello. I have a SQLServer table with a varchar(max) column which I link to in Access. In design view, Access shows the column as having a Text data type with a field size of 255. Access displays the last 255 characters, and truncates data that's inserted into the field.

How can I get Access to see it as a memo field?

From: Rick Brandt on
Darrell Burns wrote:

> Hello. I have a SQLServer table with a varchar(max) column which I link to
> in Access. In design view, Access shows the column as having a Text data
> type with a field size of 255. Access displays the last 255 characters,
> and truncates data that's inserted into the field.
>
> How can I get Access to see it as a memo field?

That is not normal behavior. Every time I have linked to a table with a
VarChar larger than 255 Access has treated it as a memo.

The "usual" problem is having a VarChar larger than 255, but less than Max
which then Access wants to allow unlimited text and the server throws errors
when you input too many characters.

Are you using the latest driver? Have you tried deleting and re-creating
the link? Which version of Access and SQL Server?

Note that there are several scenarios where Access truncates even native
Access memo fields to 255, but that is in forms, reports, or queries.
Having this happen in a table link is not something I have heard of before.