From: Rich L on
Most of our computers are Windows XP SP3. We have a few Windows 7 computers.
We have noticed, that (even though er have admin rights to the destination
computer) when I try to access a Windows 7 computer's event viewer from
Windows XP Computer Management console, we get the error on on our Windows XP
computer: "Unable to connect to computer "hostname". The error was: Netowkr
path is not found." However, the "shared folders" and "Local Users and
groups" portion of computer management work fine connecting to Windows 7 from
XP.
Are there any plug-ins or updates for Windows XP that will allow me to view
Windows 7 event logs from an XP computer?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Rich L" <RichL(a)discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item
> Most of our computers are Windows XP SP3. We have a few Windows 7
> computers.
> We have noticed, that (even though er have admin rights to the
> destination
> computer) when I try to access a Windows 7 computer's event viewer from
> Windows XP Computer Management console, we get the error on on our Windows
> XP
> computer: "Unable to connect to computer "hostname". The error was:
> Netowkr
> path is not found." However, the "shared folders" and "Local Users and
> groups" portion of computer management work fine connecting to Windows 7
> from
> XP.
> Are there any plug-ins or updates for Windows XP that will allow me to
> view
> Windows 7 event logs from an XP computer?

The structure of the Windows 7 event viewer is quite different from the one
you find in WinXP. I suspect that the error message you see really means:
Sorry, eventvwr.exe(WinXP) is unable to process Windows 7 event viewer
files. And no, I am not aware of any suitable plug-ins.

Pages: 1
Prev: Win XP Backup
Next: computer won't shutdown