From: snickell on
Hi Andrew,

I was imprecise in my post, I'm using an equal loudness contour from
ISO226:2003 instead of A-Weighting.... though in some ways that may be
worse (measured for pure tones instead of wide spectrum noise). I
think I'll switch to ITU 1770. It makes more sense for my application
(signals are mostly music and speech).

That hydrogenaudio discussion is spot on, thanks.

I found the AES paper by Skovenborg ( http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/skovenborg_2004_loudness_m.pdf
) particularly interesting. Also ReplayGain is interesting just
because it is so widely used (and uses the simplistic system I just
proposed with the addition of a statistical measure.... rather than
the mean of all RMS measurements, they take the 5%-from-top value as
representative).

One conclusion I drew from the Skovenborg paper is relatively
simplistic frequency-weighted-intensity measures, while not as good as
other measures, are 'pretty good' in return for a much simpler
implementation. That answers my overall question.

-Seth

From: snickell on
The 'perceptual element' you discuss is close to what I want to
measure. In order to measure it, I want to eliminate the bias toward
loud signals ('oh wow, that amplifier is so detailed, so precise' ....
'sorry, its just set to higher gain than the other one, thank you,
please play again').

-Seth

From: Robert Orban on
In article <9c38ac81-c056-4f7d-94ed-
d607291d0304(a)s4g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, snickell(a)gmail.com says...

>I'm trying to A/B test a filter, and I'd like to control for the human
>preference for louder signals. Is there a standard way to do this?
>Right now I'm normalizing to the avg RMS level of the a-weighted
>signal. I'm hoping to achieve two signals with the same subjective
>loudness so there's no 'louder signal' bias.
>
>I'm a-weighting the signal before measuring the RMS in an attempt to
>compensate for reduced sensitivity to low/high frequencies (as the
>filter dramatically alters the spectral content it seemed like
>normalizing to the straight RMS might still result in a different
>subjective loudness... e.g. if the two signals had the same avg power,
>but in one the energy went into 1khz and in the other the energy went
>into 40Hz?).
>
>Does this approach make sense to other people? Is there a better one?
>
>thanks,

This free software should help:

http://www.orban.com/meter/