From: createdon2003 on
Hi all,

I am working on acoustic echo canceler for mobile telephony. I have two
doubts to clarify:

1) Avi perry in his book "Voice Quality Engineering in Wireless Networks"
has mentioned that although speech signal power is distributed almost
uniformly across the entire spectrum, the acoustic echo power concentrates
most of its energy in the 1700-2500 Hz range. Anybody having any idea of
the possible explanation.

2) I am searching a bulk delay estimation method (for AEC)that can be used
in the presence of heavy non-linear distortions. These non linear
distortions are introduced by : GSM codec, Speaker, Mechanical/Acoustic
coupling. I will be very thankful if anyone can guide me through.

Any good books that deal with Acoustic Echo Cancelers in wireless
network.

Thanks
Sankalp

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

createdon2003 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on acoustic echo canceler for mobile telephony. I have two
> doubts to clarify:
>
> 1) Avi perry in his book "Voice Quality Engineering in Wireless Networks"
> has mentioned that although speech signal power is distributed almost
> uniformly across the entire spectrum,

????

Average speech signal power has maximum at few hundred Hz and then rolls
down towards the high frequencies with the rate about 10dB/oct.

> the acoustic echo power concentrates
> most of its energy in the 1700-2500 Hz range. Anybody having any idea of
> the possible explanation.

A misprint, perhaps. More likely, they meant 170...2500.

> 2) I am searching a bulk delay estimation method (for AEC)that can be used
> in the presence of heavy non-linear distortions.

Run a traditional *.LMS algorithm over all span of the expected delay.
Then look at the resulting impulse response; the bulk delay part will be
seen clearly. To keep the computations reasonable, you can decimate the
signal to the lower sampling rate.

> These non linear
> distortions are introduced by : GSM codec, Speaker, Mechanical/Acoustic
> coupling. I will be very thankful if anyone can guide me through.

Auch. I doubt you can achieve any good result if you have a vocoder in
the EC loop.
The compensation of the small nonlinearities is feasible; it is better
done in the frequency domain EC. However I don't know of any practical
EC system which employs the nonlinear compensation.

> Any good books that deal with Acoustic Echo Cancelers in wireless
> network.

The EC loop is closed at the ends of the link; it doesn't matter what
kind of network is in between.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: createdon2003 on
thanks for the reply...

>createdon2003 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am working on acoustic echo canceler for mobile telephony. I have
two
>> doubts to clarify:
>>
>> 1) Avi perry in his book "Voice Quality Engineering in Wireless
Networks"
>> has mentioned that although speech signal power is distributed almost
>> uniformly across the entire spectrum,
>
>????
>
>Average speech signal power has maximum at few hundred Hz and then rolls

>down towards the high frequencies with the rate about 10dB/oct.
>
>> the acoustic echo power concentrates
>> most of its energy in the 1700-2500 Hz range. Anybody having any idea
of
>> the possible explanation.
>
>A misprint, perhaps. More likely, they meant 170...2500.

Actually I have verified it through a real recording, but couln't find the
reason. I am suspecting the mechanical coupling because of the poor
casing..ne idea???..how does that coupling is modeled (Frequency response
n all)..couln't find it anywhere..

>> 2) I am searching a bulk delay estimation method (for AEC)that can be
used
>> in the presence of heavy non-linear distortions.
>
>Run a traditional *.LMS algorithm over all span of the expected delay.
>Then look at the resulting impulse response; the bulk delay part will be

>seen clearly. To keep the computations reasonable, you can decimate the
>signal to the lower sampling rate.
>
>> These non linear
>> distortions are introduced by : GSM codec, Speaker,
Mechanical/Acoustic
>> coupling. I will be very thankful if anyone can guide me through.
>
>Auch. I doubt you can achieve any good result if you have a vocoder in
>the EC loop.
>The compensation of the small nonlinearities is feasible; it is better
>done in the frequency domain EC. However I don't know of any practical
>EC system which employs the nonlinear compensation.
>
>> Any good books that deal with Acoustic Echo Cancelers in wireless
>> network.
>
>The EC loop is closed at the ends of the link; it doesn't matter what
>kind of network is in between.

Sorry probably it wasn't very clearly written. I meant GSM network
(Vocoders are present in both directions).

>Vladimir Vassilevsky
>DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
>http://www.abvolt.com

Sankalp
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

createdon2003 wrote:

> Sorry probably it wasn't very clearly written. I meant GSM network
> (Vocoders are present in both directions).

If you have vocoders in the loop, the EC is not feasible.

From: createdon2003 on
>> the acoustic echo power concentrates
>> most of its energy in the 1700-2500 Hz range. Anybody having any idea
of
>> the possible explanation.
>
>A misprint, perhaps. More likely, they meant 170...2500.

Actually I have verified it through a recording (not sure whether speaker
phone was on/off)that acoustic echo's power was present mainly between
1700-2500Hz, but couln't find the reason. I am suspecting the poor acoustic
isolation due to cheap casing..any idea???..how does that coupling is