From: Ken Maltby on
I have a Mio P550 that seemed to die/lockup on me while sitting
on a charger base. It would not boot, into the OS (WM5).
Eventually I decided to flash a new ROM image, as that seemed
to be the only way to get it working again. To make a long story
short, I finally found a download package that included what I
needed to get the Uboot low level bootloader to match the ROM
image for WM6.1 (a translation of the french version of the OS)
[v1.03 by Crashoverhead] that I could find, and install WM6.1 to
have a working P550 again.

I originally had the Oscar250/260AB_UT_R13 bootloader on
the P550 but now have the Oscar250/260AB_UT_R12.

So far I can't get ActiveSync 4.5 (or 4.2) USB Drivers to recognize
the P550 as it is now. This is on my Windows XP Pro x64 SP2
System. Without ActiveSync installed, XP seems to recognize a
"Mobile Device" when the USB cable to the P550 is attached, and
throws up no error. (Not that, that means much, as I can't find it in
Win Explorer or "My Computer" and can't make any use of the fact.)
[ It does make me wonder if I could install ActiveSync, without it
replacing the USB Drivers, if it would then work.]

Oddly windows throws up an error saying that an "unknown" USB
device is attached, when either ActiveSync version is installed. Even
more odd because windows can recognize the P550, as a testbed
when the P550 is in the bootloader mode. The ActiveSync Icon
remains grayed out, and nothing I've tried can get it to recognize or
connect to the P550.

So, any ideas on how to get ActiveSync working with my P550
running under WM6.1?

Failing that, does anyone know of a good substitute for ActiveSync?

Luck;
Ken

From: Beverly Howard on
All the "drivers" do is to associate the device's USB id with Activesync.

The likely reason you are having the problem is that the new id didn't
exist when the driver file (WCEUSBSH.INF) was populated.

Might see if mio has an updated file or try to find a newer ASync CD.
If you find one, grab WCEUSBSH.CAT as well as that contains the "driver
certification" codes for XP... if it's not there, you simply "accept"
when it warns you.

fwiw, this is not a new problem but it has not appeared for a long time.

Beverly Howard
From: Ken Maltby on

"Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> All the "drivers" do is to associate the device's USB id with Activesync.
>
> The likely reason you are having the problem is that the new id didn't
> exist when the driver file (WCEUSBSH.INF) was populated.

Hmm.... So perhaps if I have the P550 plugged in and recognized
as a Mobile Device, then tried installing ActiveSync 4.5, the install
might build an WCEUSBSH.INF with the proper ID entries?

> Might see if mio has an updated file or try to find a newer ASync CD. If
> you find one, grab WCEUSBSH.CAT as well as that contains the "driver
> certification" codes for XP... if it's not there, you simply "accept" when
> it warns you.

I have an old copy of the WCEUSBSH.CAT, how would it help
with the ActiveSync 4.5 install ? Would having it in the same Dir as
the install .msi be good enough, or do I need to recompile the .msi,
somehow?

Luck;
Ken

From: Beverly Howard on
>> the install might build an WCEUSBSH.INF with the proper ID entries? <<

No... you need to find a recent copy of WCEUSBSH.INF, right click that
and select "install" If you can get one from MIO that supports the
upgrade you performed, that would be the best solution.

PNP requires that any USB connected device have information in the
registry (which, in this case, comes from driver files such as the
above) before it will allow any device to use a usb port.

You posted that you upgraded the firmware on your device... I assume
that doing so let the device with a new and different usb id which is
transmitted on every usb connect. The dialog you posted that comes up
on every connect seems to indicate that this is the problem.

Beverly Howard