From: Ludovic Brenta on
I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
mailing list[1] with web archives[2].

I started out in 2003 as (almost) the sole maintainer of Ada
in Debian but, in the past couple of years, several people have
joined in the effort. It has become necessary to coordinate
work of all these people. Several of these people seconded my
request (in fact, Xavier was the one who nudged me to make the
request in the first place; thanks to him). The list will thus
replace private emails as a means of coordination, making this
much more public.

This list is intended for:
- discussion of the Debian Policy for Ada[3]
- release coordination among Ada packages in Debian
- packaging advice
- general help for Ada programmers using the Debian packages

This list is not moderated; posting is allowed by anyone.
Posting address: debian-ada(a)lists.debian.org

Intended audience:
- maintainers of Ada packages in Debian
- people who would like to join in the effort
- programmers using the Ada packages in Debian
- people considering Debian as an Ada development platform

If you wish to subscribe to the mailing list, please visit [1].

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/recent
[3] http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Alex R. Mosteo on
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
> mailing list[1] with web archives[2].

I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner. Can I
go ahead and request its addition?

Alex.

http://www.gmane.org/

From: Ludovic Brenta on
Alex R. Mosteo wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
> > mailing list[1] with web archives[2].
>
> I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
> convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner. Can I
> go ahead and request its addition?

Sure. I suppose you are referring to [1]. I don't know about that
procedure, so I'd be interested in details if you have any to share.

[1] http://www.debian.org/support#usenet

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Alex R. Mosteo on
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Alex R. Mosteo wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> > I have requested and been granted the creation of a new
>> > mailing list[1] with web archives[2].
>>
>> I would like to access this list through gmane, which I find most
>> convenient. It is recommended to get the permission of the list owner.
>> Can I go ahead and request its addition?
>
> Sure. I suppose you are referring to [1]. I don't know about that
> procedure, so I'd be interested in details if you have any to share.

Yes, basically the people from gmane subscribes to the list and establishes
a two-way gateway from mail to their nntp server. E-mail addresses are
scrambled to minimize spam.

I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down (as
compared to google news, or using news at all).

It suffices to fill-in a request form in the gmane website and they set it
up. They seem to be down right now, so I can't link to it, though.

Alex.

From: Peter Hermann on
Alex R. Mosteo <alejandro(a)mosteo.com> wrote:
> I guess people using usenet through newsreaders is going constantly down

I would prefer to handle debian-ada
either as a newsgroup by means of tin or thunderbird
(or else as mailing list, but how to join?)