From: Peter C. Chapin on
This is just an observation on the difference between two communities.

I've been recently using Scala for a project (I'd rather use Ada, but it's
hard for me to justify the cost of converting... alas). Scala is a
functional/OO hybrid language that targets the JVM. It prides itself on,
among other things, its concise syntax. Not surprisingly the Scala community,
as evidenced by the posts on a Scala newsgroup, regard conciseness as an
important feature for a programming language. I agree that conciseness can in
some cases improve readability. However, I also believe that it can obscure a
lot of important detail and make it hard to understand the execution cost of
the code. Perhaps because of my experience with Ada, or perhaps because of my
basic personality, I'm not necessarily a fan of extreme conciseness.

However, the argument that I see some people putting forth on the Scala group
is that conciseness is good because it saves typing. I really can't
understand that. How hard is it to type?

One of the people on that group posted this comment related to the fact that
Java requires public/private access specifiers on methods whereas Scala uses
public by default. Thus in the "common" case of a public method you don't
have to type the word 'public'...

<quote>
The whole "I will make you do extra work coding just so you can demonstrate
to me that you're not being lazy" attitude of Java is perhaps useful in some
situations, but we already have Java for that.  I don't think adopting that
attitude of making you do busywork would be an asset for Scala.

  --Rex
</quote>

Hmmm... "busywork"... interesting. I can only imagine what this person, or
others in that community, would have to say about Ada... or SPARK!

Peter

From: Ludovic Brenta on
Peter C. Chapin wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> <quote>
> The whole "I will make you do extra work coding just so you can demonstrate
> to me that you're not being lazy" attitude of Java is perhaps useful in some
> situations, but we already have Java for that.  I don't think adopting that
> attitude of making you do busywork would be an asset for Scala.
>
>   --Rex
> </quote>
>
> Hmmm... "busywork"... interesting. I can only imagine what this person, or
> others in that community, would have to say about Ada... or SPARK!

Interpreting an rephrasing Rex's words: "Scala is for lazy
programmers; non-lazy ("serious"?) programmers should use Java." If he
really thinks Java is for the non-lazy ("serious"?) programmers, then
he needs a reality check. If Scala is for lazy programmers, then I'd
rather not have anything to do with it or with said programmers :)

Also interesting is his word "coding". In his mind, Java and Scala are
both for "coding", not for "writing" or "designing" or "explaining" a
program. In this light I can understand him; since both languages can
only convey "code", verbosity is of little value indeed.

Ada, by contrast, is not for "coders", it is for software engineers.
Ada program text (as opposed to "source code") carries a lot of
information about the design and intent of the program; about the whys
and wherefores and not just about the hows. *This* is the value of
verbosity.

Like I said earlier: sloppy programmers avoid Ada, therefore Ada helps
avoid sloppy programmers.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
Peter C. Chapin wrote:

> However, the argument that I see some people putting forth on the Scala group
> is that conciseness is good because it saves typing. I really can't
> understand that. How hard is it to type?

The important point is that in the real world, code is written once, but read
many times. I'm sure this is just as true with Scala as it is with every other
language. So saving typing at the cost of making it harder to read is a false
economy. Any project where money is involved should take that into consideration.

As Preben Randhol put it, "Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not
the programming language."

--
Jeff Carter
"Mr. President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"
From: Adam Beneschan on
On May 26, 5:57 am, "Peter C. Chapin" <pcc482...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just an observation on the difference between two communities.
>
> I've been recently using Scala for a project (I'd rather use Ada, but it's
> hard for me to justify the cost of converting... alas). Scala is a
> functional/OO hybrid language that targets the JVM. It prides itself on,
> among other things, its concise syntax. Not surprisingly the Scala community,
> as evidenced by the posts on a Scala newsgroup, regard conciseness as an
> important feature for a programming language. I agree that conciseness can in
> some cases improve readability. However, I also believe that it can obscure a
> lot of important detail and make it hard to understand the execution cost of
> the code. Perhaps because of my experience with Ada, or perhaps because of my
> basic personality, I'm not necessarily a fan of extreme conciseness.
>
> However, the argument that I see some people putting forth on the Scala group
> is that conciseness is good because it saves typing. I really can't
> understand that. How hard is it to type?

not hard 4 u obvsly but we dealng w generation hu thnks "lengthy
essay" means sumth 2 long 2 fit in2 Twitter msg

-- a
From: Peter Hermann on
Ludovic Brenta <ludovic(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Like I said earlier: sloppy programmers avoid Ada, therefore Ada helps
> avoid sloppy programmers.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

(-: