From: Wolfram Sang on
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:11:15PM +0200, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> New targets are added (coccicheck-<mode>) to call the spatch front-end
> in the 'scripts' directory with the <mode> argument.
>
> Four modes are defined: report, patch, context, and org.
>
> 'report' mode generates a list in the following format:
> file:line:column-column: message
>
> 'patch' mode proposes a generic fix, when possible.
>
> 'context' mode highlights lines of interest and their context
> in a diff-like style.
>
> 'org' mode generates a report in the Org mode format of Emacs.

So, as I understood all semantic patches have to support 'org'?
I think this makes submitting slightly more complicated...

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Wolfram Sang |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
From: Julia Lawall on
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Wolfram Sang wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:11:15PM +0200, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> > New targets are added (coccicheck-<mode>) to call the spatch front-end
> > in the 'scripts' directory with the <mode> argument.
> >
> > Four modes are defined: report, patch, context, and org.
> >
> > 'report' mode generates a list in the following format:
> > file:line:column-column: message
> >
> > 'patch' mode proposes a generic fix, when possible.
> >
> > 'context' mode highlights lines of interest and their context
> > in a diff-like style.
> >
> > 'org' mode generates a report in the Org mode format of Emacs.
>
> So, as I understood all semantic patches have to support 'org'?
> I think this makes submitting slightly more complicated...

No, this should not be the case. It just won't do anything if you request
org output and nothing is defined to produce org output.

julia
From: Andy Isaacson on
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 06:24:23PM +0200, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> New targets are added (coccicheck-<mode>) to call the 'coccinelle.sh'
> front-end in the 'scripts' directory with the <mode> argument.
>
> Four modes are defined: report, patch, context, and org.

Please check-in this write-up somewhere (Documentation/README.coccinelle
perhaps?) along with information about how to get the required tools.
(Are they pacakged in Debian and/or Fedora? What versions are the
scripts tested against?)

Also I'd like to see a short example of how to use the framework. I've
read Val's spatch article (http://lwn.net/Articles/315686/) and it's
still a bit of a black art to me.

Thanks for the work!

-andy
From: Wolfram Sang on
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 07:14:16PM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 06:24:23PM +0200, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> > New targets are added (coccicheck-<mode>) to call the 'coccinelle.sh'
> > front-end in the 'scripts' directory with the <mode> argument.
> >
> > Four modes are defined: report, patch, context, and org.
>
> Please check-in this write-up somewhere (Documentation/README.coccinelle
> perhaps?)

I still haven't made my mind regarding these four modes; but if they are used,
they should be documented. ACK.

> Also I'd like to see a short example of how to use the framework. I've
> read Val's spatch article (http://lwn.net/Articles/315686/) and it's
> still a bit of a black art to me.

Something like this? :)

https://lwn.net/Articles/380835/

From: Joerg Roedel on
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 06:24:23PM +0200, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> Three semantic patches, with a low rate of false positives, are also
> included.

Is there a way to annotate false positives so that they do not produce
warnings over and over?

> Other semantic patches will be provided later. Note that a semantic
> patch does not need to define all four modes. As many semantic patches
> may be proposed later, they are organized under sub-directories of
> 'scripts/coccinelle/'.

Don't know how complex the coccinelle software itself is, but I think it
would make sense to ship it with the kernel-sources too. That together
with a README and everything is perfect :-)
Thanks for the great work, this should definitly be upstream.

Joerg