From: bobster on
+1 on Revo. I've used it for several years and it finds left over stuff
that Add/Remove misses.

"HeyBub" <heybub(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
Tommy D wrote:
> Running Windows xp pro sp3.
>
> Add or Remove Programs working extremely slow. At first I thought it
> wasn't populating and then after 6 - 10 minutes or so, it populated
> and appears to be normal. It was working much faster 2 days ago.
> I've not added any programs. (I don't recall if Microsoft
> automatically updated something). I Googled for the symptom and the
> results were all over the map with nothing helpful. Also did the
> same on Microsoft KB.
>
> I have Kaspersky Internet security. I turned it off and it made no
> difference.
>
> All the while the Add Remove is apparently trying to populate, I can
> my hard drive is working until the list populates so there is
> obviously some activity related to add/remove going on..
>
> I'd appreciate your input as to what might be going on any
> information or links that address how to correct it.

Yeah, who knows. A/R has always been slow.

You might try a freeware program, RevoUninstaller, that's much faster and
does a better job of removing stuff.

From: SC Tom on

"Tommy D" <tduprZx(a)landmarknZt.invalid> wrote in message

>> Once it's populated, go through and see if there's anything showing
>> that you don't have installed anymore. For example, if you uninstalled
>> a game or other program and it still shows up in the list, that will
>> slow the process down. Depending on the program, you may have to
>> install, then uninstall it again to get rid of the entry.
>
> Found what must have been causing the problem: several bad files on my
> hard drive on which one particular program was located.
>
> I noticed that one of my quickstart Icons at the bottom of my desktop was
> the generic Windows page, normally it was a recognizable avatar. I then
> went to the program folder on my hard drive and clicked on it to open it
> and Windows did not like that, saying there was an error. I then started
> Add Remove and waited until it populated, went to that program and tried
> to do an uninstall, Add remove said either the program is on a different
> drive or already has been removed do you want to remove this entry from
> Add Remove, and I said yes.
>
> Then did a scandisk for this hard drive, and Windows found several errors
> which were fixed automatically.
>
> Went to the program folder and deleted it uneventfully.
>
> Did Add or Remove and it worked fine.
>

> Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

Thanks for letting the group know your results. Glad everything is good now!
--
SC Tom