From: Andi Kleen on
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 04:21:37PM -0700, john stultz wrote:

> Taking a very raw attempt at this, I scratched out the following simple
> implementation. I'd appreciate any review or suggestions for
> improvements. I'm not at all certain the passing of the thread pid_t
> through the unsigned long is valid, for instance, or if
> same_thread_group() is the right check to make sure we only change
> siblings and not tid from other processes. So any advice on better
> approaches would be great.

First though that comes to mind is that this should not be in prctl()

-Andi
From: Andi Kleen on
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 05:42:15PM -0700, john stultz wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 02:28 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 04:21:37PM -0700, john stultz wrote:
> > >
> > > Taking a very raw attempt at this, I scratched out the following simple
> > > implementation. I'd appreciate any review or suggestions for
> > > improvements. I'm not at all certain the passing of the thread pid_t
> > > through the unsigned long is valid, for instance, or if
> > > same_thread_group() is the right check to make sure we only change
> > > siblings and not tid from other processes. So any advice on better
> > > approaches would be great.
> >
> > First though that comes to mind is that this should not be in prctl()
>
> So it deserves a new syscall? Any other thoughts?

I would probably just put it into /proc/pid and use the normal ptrace
access checks.
-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Andi Kleen on
> you're pretty much the first now who touches ->comm from
> not-the-thread-itself.... are you sure that is safe?

It's not, there is no locking. On the other hand nothing should crash,
just users might see half rewritten data.
-Andi
--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: john stultz on
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 02:28 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 04:21:37PM -0700, john stultz wrote:
> >
> > Taking a very raw attempt at this, I scratched out the following simple
> > implementation. I'd appreciate any review or suggestions for
> > improvements. I'm not at all certain the passing of the thread pid_t
> > through the unsigned long is valid, for instance, or if
> > same_thread_group() is the right check to make sure we only change
> > siblings and not tid from other processes. So any advice on better
> > approaches would be great.
>
> First though that comes to mind is that this should not be in prctl()

So it deserves a new syscall? Any other thoughts?

thanks
-john

From: Arjan van de Ven on

visit http://www.lesswatts.org