From: JD on
Hey Experts,

I am trying to setup a NetBios system on my pair
of boxes - Box1 (Win2K) and NetBook (Win7).

I visited the 'Local Area Connection 2' in Network
and Dialup Connections on Box1.
Opening the 'Local Area Connection 2' and clicking
the General tab I find
'NWLink NetBios' and select it. Then I click the
Install button and I get a small
window with choices of Client, Service and Protocol.

Still on Box1 I click Client and see the message
"A client provides access to computers and files
on the network you are connecting to." That
seemed like the Box1. I click Add and then get the
message "Windows is unable to find any
drivers....." I found the file NetBios.SY_ on
my original Win2K CD and I guess the .SY_ means
it's compressed. Clicking or doubleclicking did
not decompress. I believe I am getting rusty ;-)

Then I clicked Protocol and all that was there was
Apple Talk Protocol and DLC Protocol.
For Service all that was available was QoS Packet
Scheduler and SAP Agent.

Now I gotta rest. Can anyone finish this? :-)

TIA
From: VanguardLH on
JD wrote:

> Hey Experts,
>
> I am trying to setup a NetBios system on my pair
> of boxes - Box1 (Win2K) and NetBook (Win7).

And the freeware question was what (to remain on-topic to THIS
newsgroup)? There exist newsgroups to ask networking questions.
From: JD on
VanguardLH wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>> Hey Experts,
>>
>> I am trying to setup a NetBios system on my pair
>> of boxes - Box1 (Win2K) and NetBook (Win7).
>
> And the freeware question was what (to remain on-topic to THIS
> newsgroup)? There exist newsgroups to ask networking questions.

NetBios IS free. Want a free copy?
From: JD on
Yrrah wrote:

>>> And the freeware question was what (to remain on-topic to THIS
>>> newsgroup)? There exist newsgroups to ask networking questions.
>
>> NetBios IS free.
>
> An MS Windows group or forum (2K, 7) would be much more appropriate in
> this case.

> Yrrah

Hi Y :-)

I agree with your comment.

It seems to me that the MS Windows groups are rapidly thinning out and
disappearing. If you can, tell me the names of active groups on
networking that are still flourishing.
From: Bill Bradshaw on
Unfortunately my computer is tied up right now with something intensive so I
can not get you a URL. If you go to www.microsoft.com and do a search for
"Answers" you will find forums devoted to network issues. If you look
around you find the area you need to get the answers you are looking for.

<Bill>

"JD" <JD(a)No-where.con> wrote in message
> Hey Experts,
>
> I am trying to setup a NetBios system on my pair of boxes - Box1 (Win2K)
> and NetBook (Win7).
>
> I visited the 'Local Area Connection 2' in Network and Dialup Connections
> on Box1.
> Opening the 'Local Area Connection 2' and clicking the General tab I find
> 'NWLink NetBios' and select it. Then I click the Install button and I get
> a small
> window with choices of Client, Service and Protocol.
>
> Still on Box1 I click Client and see the message "A client provides access
> to computers and files on the network you are connecting to." That seemed
> like the Box1. I click Add and then get the message "Windows is unable to
> find any drivers....." I found the file NetBios.SY_ on my original
> Win2K CD and I guess the .SY_ means it's compressed. Clicking or
> doubleclicking did not decompress. I believe I am getting rusty ;-)
>
> Then I clicked Protocol and all that was there was Apple Talk Protocol and
> DLC Protocol.
> For Service all that was available was QoS Packet Scheduler and SAP Agent.
>
> Now I gotta rest. Can anyone finish this? :-)
>
> TIA

Pages: 1
Prev: Puppy Linux 5.1
Next: A Ruler For Windows v2.0