From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-08-09, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <i2cf5j$982$1(a)south.jnrs.ja.net>,
> Andrew McDermott <a.p.mcdermott(a)rl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>Kenny McCormack wrote:

>>> Or, more sensibly:
>>>
>>> awk '{print "\047"$0"\047"}' ...
>>
>>You missed the comma, by the way.
>>>
>>> Tip: Avoid cryptic, meaningless tools like "sed" (and friends).
>>>

>>How is 'print "\047"$0"\047" less cryptic than the above sed line?
>>
>>Sorry, I don't want to start an awk V sed flame war, but let's face it, that
>>so-called tip IS flame-bait.
>>
>>Andrew
>
> My point was that it is better to learn to use a tool that is likely to
> help you more down the line. I learned AWK pretty much as my first
> tool, and never really bothered with sed/join/comm/tr/etc. I think we
> do people a disservice by giving them sed/join/comm/tr/etc solutions.

It is better to learn the right tool for the job.

To use awk to replace join/comm/tr/etc. requires coding when a
simple command would suffice.

For simple substitutions (and even some more complex ones), sed is
just as comprehensible as awk.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, author <http://shell.cfajohnson.com/>

From: John Kelly on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:30:45 +0000 (UTC), "Chris F.A. Johnson"
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-08-09, Kenny McCormack wrote:

>> My point was that it is better to learn to use a tool that is likely to
>> help you more down the line. I learned AWK pretty much as my first
>> tool, and never really bothered with sed/join/comm/tr/etc. I think we
>> do people a disservice by giving them sed/join/comm/tr/etc solutions.
>
> It is better to learn the right tool for the job.
> To use awk to replace join/comm/tr/etc. requires coding when a
> simple command would suffice.

I prefer minimal solutions, using the least capable tool that will solve
the problem.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <i3pl14$i1m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> To use awk to replace join/comm/tr/etc. requires coding when a
> simple command would suffice.
>
> For simple substitutions (and even some more complex ones), sed is
> just as comprehensible as awk.

Obviously, I disagree. I think it is better to learn a tool and use
that tool. Why bother your head with stupid, virtually useless tools?

But I guess we can agree to disagree.

--
"The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
statements?

But the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business in one
breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (that they can morally
self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that corporations are
amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except their officers
and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they don't need to be
regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...

From: Grant on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 20:07:34 +0000 (UTC), gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>In article <i3pl14$i1m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> To use awk to replace join/comm/tr/etc. requires coding when a
>> simple command would suffice.
>>
>> For simple substitutions (and even some more complex ones), sed is
>> just as comprehensible as awk.
>
>Obviously, I disagree. I think it is better to learn a tool and use
>that tool. Why bother your head with stupid, virtually useless tools?

I learned awk, stopped using the cut, sed and friends simply because awk
is easier for me to remember ;) Sometimes efficiency is getting the job
at hand done, accurately, not optimally unless there's other factors
force use of a particular tool.

>But I guess we can agree to disagree.

Of course :)

Grant.
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <5lq066p5a4b9l2dp644r4dvvgobgh5aacg(a)4ax.com>,
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 20:07:34 +0000 (UTC), gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com
>(Kenny McCormack) wrote:
>
>>In article <i3pl14$i1m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>>Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To use awk to replace join/comm/tr/etc. requires coding when a
>>> simple command would suffice.
>>>
>>> For simple substitutions (and even some more complex ones), sed is
>>> just as comprehensible as awk.
>>
>>Obviously, I disagree. I think it is better to learn a tool and use
>>that tool. Why bother your head with stupid, virtually useless tools?
>
>I learned awk, stopped using the cut, sed and friends simply because awk
>is easier for me to remember ;) Sometimes efficiency is getting the job
>at hand done, accurately, not optimally unless there's other factors
>force use of a particular tool.

Well put, sir!

>>But I guess we can agree to disagree.
>
>Of course :)
>
>Grant.

We agree!

--
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

- John Kenneth Galbraith -

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: GNU Parallel 20100722 released